Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
farphle

VERY puzzling problem w/ Adaptec ECDC

Would anyone know why I can burn to CDRW but not to CDR? I've tried at least 6 different brands of CDR, and get the same errors with all of them. I get buffer underrun, power calibration area errors, and the like. Using ECDC 4.02c, ASPI is fine (see below), and I'm burning from the HD, CDRW is HP 8250i 4X4X24. Something else that puzzles me is that when my burner and CDROM are connected to my onboard Promise controller ASPICHK tells me "One host adapter detected.". When they are on the standard UDMA33 it says there are TWO host adapters. If anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it. You'd be saving me a TON of money (I've made 40 or so coasters in the last couple of weeks). BTW, I've uninstalled and reinstalled ECDC and ASPI numerous times, tried with and without the updates, no change. TIA

LOG0143: *****************************************************************

LOG0144: Starting ASPICHK installer on Sat Jul 01 22:46:37 2000

ASPICHK0438: OS = Windows NT (5.00.2195)

UPGRADE1004: d:\winnt\system32\wnaspi32.dll dated 09/10/1999 11:06:00, 45056 bytes.

UPGRADE1062: d:\winnt\system32\wnaspi32.dll version 4.6.0.1021

UPGRADE1004: d:\winnt\system\winaspi.dll dated 09/10/1999 11:06:00, 5600 bytes.

UPGRADE1062: d:\winnt\system\winaspi.dll version 4.6.0.1021

UPGRADE1004: d:\winnt\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys dated 09/10/1999 11:06:00, 25244 bytes.

UPGRADE1062: d:\winnt\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys version 4.6.0.1021

UPGRADE1004: d:\winnt\system\wowpost.exe dated 09/10/1999 11:06:00, 4672 bytes.

UPGRADE1062: d:\winnt\system\wowpost.exe version 4.6.0.1021

ASPICHK0582: ASPI is properly installed and is fully operational. A total of 2 host adapters have been detected.

LOG0218: Closing installer log on Sat Jul 01 22:46:38 2000

LOG0219: *****************************************************************

[This message has been edited by farphle (edited 02 July 2000).]

1. Is your system overclocked?

2. Is DMA turned ON or OFF?

3. Jumpers set properly?

4. Latest bios?

5. Latest drivers?

System is not overclocked.

DMA is turned on.

Jumpers are correct.

BIOS 5.3 (Microstar BX Master)

All drivers are up to date, I think.

System info:

Microstar BX Master (BIOS ver. 5.3)

PIII 600EB

256MB ram (PC-100)

Maxtor 20.4 UDMA66 5400 (Master on Promise)

Maxtor 13.6 UDMA33 7200 (Slave on Promise)

Memorex 48X (Master on UDMA33)

HP 8250i (Slave on UDMA33,no firmware upgrades)

Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT (v5.0.2103-02.376)

Voodoo 2 (v2.56.00.0459)

SoundBlaster Live Value (LiveWare 2.0)

Diamond SupraMax 56K

D-Link DFE-530TX+

Got any ideas?

It is the writer in winNt or win2k that is the problem, try another program such as NERO or CDRWIn and everything should be fine

------------------

LINUX is like a Wigwam, no windows, no gates only an Apache inside!

ECDC is a major problem in win2k, so i suggest to use nero, that give's no problems and just like ECDC

------------------

LINUX is like a Wigwam, no windows, no gates only an Apache inside!

The writer has the same problems in 98 and 2K. I've tried Nero and it will burn at 2X but not 4X. ECDC tries to burn at 2X but the disk is unreadable. I don't see the point of not being able to burn at full speed.

I had it working when I first installed Win2K, but that was 5 or 6 installs ago (formatted between each install).

[This message has been edited by farphle (edited 02 July 2000).]

I've been burning CD-R's with no problems whatsoever using ECDC 4. Specifically, 4.02c.

If you're using any version other than 4, there are known problems and some workarounds. I'd suggest you goto http://www.adaptec.com/ and check them out. If you're running version 4, get the latest updates.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat: You talk to it but you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you say."

I have a similar problem in that I can write CDR but not CDRW. I am using Nero in win2k. I think my problem may be hardware related. Yours could be too. Can you try the drive in another system?

I'm having interesting problems with ECDC as well. I installed the latest version immediately after a clean install of Win2K. I obtained this version from HP (the CD upgrade). I'm using an HP 9110i drive.

When I tried to burn my first audio CD (using the MP3 to WAVE convert ability of ECDC), I obtained an error 80% through the process (burning at 8X). The recommendation of the error window was to reinstall ECDC. I've reinstalled and since then ECDC will not recognize or display MP3 files. If I try to view audio files (both MP3 and WAVE) in the explorer portion of ECDC only the WAVE files are listed. If I try to drag and drop a file with an mp3 extension onto the CD layout portion of the window, ECDC comes back with an error saying that only files with wav and mp3 extensions can be dragged and dropped... it even displays the mp3 file name with the mp3 extension in the error window.

I've contacted HP support and they are working on the problem but I don't hold out much hope given the 1st level support guy was convinced that mp3 was not supported by 4.03 of ECDC.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled ECDC many times, and the problem is still there.

Anyone have any clues?

I'll try the drive in another system and see what happens. I can't see it being hardware related because I can burn CDRW, but you never know.

My brother installed ECDC in Win2K Adv. Server with no ASPI update and it works perfect every time. Pisses me off.

Quote:
Originally posted by farphle:
I'll try the drive in another system and see what happens. I can't see it being hardware related because I can burn CDRW, but you never know.

My brother installed ECDC in Win2K Adv. Server with no ASPI update and it works perfect every time. Pisses me off.

I agree with Mark W. The problem you are encountering (with the information you have provide) is a hardware problem. When Windows 2000 was in RC status there was problem with burners not burning correctly in Windows 2000. When Windows 2000 was released firmware update soon started appearing a month after which alleviated the problem you are encountering. Stick with Windows 98 for burning till you get a firmware update for Windows 2000. If you have some money to burn get an Adaptec SCSI card and a SCSI Plextor Plexwriter. They are the best combo so far.

------------------
Supermicro P6DBE Rev 3.0 Motherboard
Dual Intel Pentium III 850
512 MEGS of ECC RAM
Sound Blaster Live!
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card
GeForce 2 GTS 64MB
IBM DMVS18N Ultra 160 Hard Drive
Western Digital 20.5GB Hard Drive
Razer Boom Slang 2000 (USB)
Roland Sound Canvis SC-55
3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card
Plextor Plexwriter 12/4/32
Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM
Sony GDM-F500R Monitor

I have the below system and cannot use EZCD PERIOD! Updates?? PFTTT I think they really got some more work to do on those. It just spits discs out and laughs at me. Thank gawd for Nero!!

------------------

Intel PIII 450

ASUS P2B-F (BIOS 1013)

128 MB PC 100 SDRam

Diamond Viper 770 32Mb TNT2 (Det. 5.32)

Quantum Fireball CR 8.4Gb IDE HDD

Quantum Atlas II 4.5Gb SCSI HDD

Tekram DC-310 SCSI Adapter

Panasonic CW-7502 8x4 SCSI CD-R

Mitsubishi Diamond Data 32x IDE CD Rom

Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64 (ES 1370)

Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D USB Joystick

Epson Stylus Color 400 Printer

Dynalink V1456VQE-R External 56k V.90 Modem

Daewoo 710b 17" Monitor

Windows 2000 2195

#NTCompatible on UNDERNET!!!

Did not your mommy told you to not mix up UDMA66 and UDMA33 in to the same channel ?

If possible in order to avoid errors, the UDMA66 it's recomended to work only with another UDMA66 drive.

And stay away from HP writers, coaster factories... laugh

Try turning DMA off, I got those errors also with ECDC 4.00 but when i turned DMA off it burned perfectly, using Yamaha CDRW burner.