Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ACID

Professional vs server

i was just wondering is there anything that professional has that server doesnt

eg faster more compatible etc

i'm just not sure what i should get i am interested in setting up a server for about 15 computers for gameing etc

------------------

CELERON 333

Asus p2b-b motherboard

64 mg ram

voodoo 3 2000-3000 hybrid (2000 with tv out)

Sb live value

realtek nic

I've been running Professional since March, and loved it. This past weekend, I decided that I wanted to try out Advanced Server(yes it's warez)...becaue I was interested in the Windows Media Services..

I've installed it...and have been installing a lot of things, and the system resource usage is just a bit higher....but not bad. What does professional have that server doesn't? A very very long installation time(Pro took almost 3 hours from popping the disk in to completely loading things properly(albeit, I was gone for some time, and didn't click ENTER to reset). Adv. Ser took maybe an hour.

They, to my knowledge, all use the same things, but Server comes with more options...more tweaking opportunities. And Media Services. All things considered...If you could get Server, and sell the Licenses, you'd possibly be better off than with a lone Professional. This is what I'm thinking about doing, if I like Advanced Server.

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

160MB RAM

GeForce DDR

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Prof(and W98SE, but unused since early March)

Logitech Itouch Elite

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.

Windows 2000 Professional (and Windows NT 4 Workstation before it), are very similar to their bigger Server brothers.

The key difference is in the amount of connections the non-Server products will accept. NTW would only accept 10 connections from other PC's, after that anyone else trying to connect would basically get a 'server full' error.

I believe that Windows 2000 Pro is the same. Therefore if you want to run 15 PC's, you will need to spend the extra money to get the Windows 2000 Server, along with the required number of client licenses.

If you decide to go for Server, 64mb ram ain't gonna cut it. You need at least 128mb, and the more the merrier.....

You're right CUViper...I'm testing it now and the difference between 64 and 128 MB is awesome....

Moreover, the Server loads many more services in memory, and the management of memory is somewhat different, to manage external users.

I had some problems with the DNS server, but they seem resolved at last.

It seems to me that browsing is smoother on the server rather than the professional, but it's just an impression...

Server comes with a few extras that PRO doesn't. Like Network Monitoring Tool, Terminal Services (which will allow GUI access to your box from ANY windows based PC anywhere in the world). Some programs like MS SQL server will only install on Server.

Server is also a bit more memory hungry.. 256 Megs would help a lot smile

384 helps more smile

Now if only I can find a firewall program that cooperates with HalfLife...it's caused cold-locks...that even the all powerful Ctrl Alt Del can't fix.

I'm using ZoneAlarm

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

393(listed)MB RAM

GeForce DDR (Annihilator Pro)

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Advanced Server

Logitech Itouch Elite

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.

One advantage that Server has over Professional, is if you are planning on using the computer for any internet hosting. Professional allows one ftp site, and one web site. Server can have multiple. Both have SMTP support, but server has NNTP(Nice to hook up for the weekend on your favourite newsgroups.). The big plus about all this, is that Server also has an Administration Web Site. This is an asp version of the Internet Services Manager. It allows you to change virtually EVERYTHING from a remote computer.

Oh yeah, and Server allows direct IP filtering. Professional doesn't. (As far as internet hosting crap.) :P

I'm using Win2000 server for about 2 weeks and my impression is, that it runs smoother than professional, browsing is faster and games are loading faster...

And the extra services you don't need?

Just stop them, admin tools, services...

O well, that's my opinion about w2k server

Well INFERNO what it probably means is that u ALREADY have a FTP running. When u install Server with Internet components it by default installs MS FTP server. U can manage it (turn it on/off, add users) in "manage" menu under the MyComputer. If u wanna run both FTP program simply pick a different port for the serv-u say 5000 or any number higher and you will be ok.

I'll be damned smile

It worked!

now I just have to turn off MS's ****ing FTP.

Thanks!

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

393(listed)MB RAM

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Advanced Server

Logitech Itouch Elite

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.

Actually I prefer MS FTP Server over ServU as it automatically uses the account information of the NT box it is installed on.

Also, shared directory configuration is very easy.

------------------

Written on Win2000 using:

PII 300

Aopen AX6B

160mb RAM

i740 8mb

SBLive! Value

20gb Seagate

6gb WDCaviar

1.2gb Segate

Pioneer 32x CD-R (Slot)

Lifeview FlyVideo '98 FM

Realtek RTL8029AS 10mbit

Accton EN1660 10mbit

Aztech 3858W 56k modem

Osborne MO117 17"

Using 100% Australian Made recyclable electrons

The thing is, I only use my FTP at certain times...

and either for Warez, or personal use.

Therefore, it's easier to use ServU.

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

393(listed)MB RAM

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Advanced Server

Logitech Itouch Elite

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home