Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rlculver

Will games (after SP1 and Direct X 8.0 are released) work we

Dear all,

As I have said in the subject line, will games work well on windows 2000 pro after direct x 8.0 and SP1 are released?

I would rather go for Windows 2000 than Windows ME, although Windows ME does run games really well (win9x coding).

Thanks

Robert Culver

I.T Student

Yes and no DX8 will probably imporve the performance a bit but honestly all you guy should stop wasting time messing with games on NT I understand somewhat because you are all probably fed up with winblows 98 but if you want the least hasstle for the best gamming experience get windows ME and run dual boot. I love win2k it is great but not for games and even though all my games work on 2k they work a consistent 10 - 15 fps better on windows ME which even in beta form seems to be as stable as win2k. So don't get your hopes up for a dramatic performance increase because it is not goiong to happen unless you get windows ME.

------------------

----------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot Windows 2000 / Windows ME Beta 3

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Grafix Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

Win9X still has it's uses, gaming is one (of the few). DX8 doesn't really increase gaming compatibility (If you mean beta 1), SP1 fixes alot of bugs but it caused more problems than it fixed on computer.

Most of my errors comes from the Nvidia drivers, and mot likely Diamond (Diamond must be responsible for some of the odd behaviour, can't prove it though :-)

Wait for Windows Whistler consumer editon if you want to play and have some stability.

When SP1 comes out games will finally work better in 2000 but NOT because of Sp1. Games will work better in 2000 because more companies will finally jump to Windows 2000 and start supporting it better.

I dont know about SP1, but Deus Ex, works

better in win2k than in winme OEM (don't ask), it's doesnt hangs for sound drivers issues. Even if is on software mode.

Dont even try it in D3D or OpenGL it will be trashing the disk about 20 minutes and will still not load.... slow as heck laugh

but software mode is ok.

i have tried both operating systems and win 2k runs games a lot faster than win me, and it don't jerk up etheir, and direct x8 seems to run a bit smoother in my opion.

and finaly win me crashes more than its on, just like a drunk driver!

win 2k rules

Unlike Four and Twenty, my games (Half-Life, HL Opposing Force, Quake 3 Arena, and Soldier of Fortune) all run a bit faster using Windows 2000 than Win98SE. I'm running an NVidia GeForce 256 SDR with the 5.22 drivers. I've found this to be true for most gamers running Win2K.

Win2K is not a gaming environment, but it just so happens to make a very good one for the right people with the right systems and the right games. And it doesn't even have to be on a bleeding-edge system. Mine is a two year-old PII 333 (with 192Mb RAM).

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat: You talk to it but you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you say."