Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IdolWild

Can't delete anything - supposed sharing violation...

Hey all, I have Windows 2000 Professional and I *am* logged in as administrator.

As an example - I'm trying to organize the Start Menu, deleting some icons, moving others, renaming, creating and deleting folders, etc.

When I have a shortcut and move it out of one of the folders and then try to delete the folder it gives me a "There has been a sharing violation - either the source or destination files may be in use."

Now, NOTHING else is running and I don't have any others windows displaying the contents of what i'm trying to delete. I get these sharing errors all the time, and it doesn't reset until I reboot.

What's going on here?

What apps do you have running at startup?

Try pausing the Indexing service and see if that helps.

I had the same Exact Problem. I went into Services and Disabled Norton Anti Virus Auto Protect and everything worked just fine. Make sure you disable your anti virus's auto protect feature, as it somehow puts a lock on almost ALL files!

I don't know for sure. I disabled a whole bunch of services from Administrative tools, and that halped a LOT. I think its the Oracle stuff that was murdering my poerformance!