Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pikey

Norton Anti-Virus & Windows 2000

Ok,

An irritating problem has occurred with Windows 2000.

Since installing Norton Anti-Virus 2000, Windows 2000 takes forever to settle down at startup.

It's not a major problem, but i could easily smoke a large cuban cigar and possibly organize peace in Northern Ireland between the time the desktop appears and Windows finally settles down.

Any suggestions please?

I switched to NAV 2000 because it actually boots up *minutes* faster than InnoculateIT PE. Defragmenting the drive does help in boot times, as does booting from your fastest hard drive, and running NTFS as your file system. Hope that provides at least some moral support for your cigar smoking.

I suspect we will not care as much once the drivers and OS become 100% stable and we are rarely (oh please god) rebooting our machines.

:}

I too had that problem. I wish I could offer some profound way of tweaking some system files or something to fix it, but I can't.

What I eventually did was reinstall Windows 2k, and installed NAVNT before any other program. Kinda a pain in the butt and very non-technical... but it worked for me.

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

Me three. I now live in constant threat of virii. But hey at least Im not annoyed by that thing. I think it causes the whole system to hang. It sniffs at every little thing you do.

I never used norton 2000 in win2k but rather i used the corporate edition and that is norton 7.01 and i dont have any problem at all.

Why not upgrade to norton corporate edition.!!

I'm also with the Corporate crowd.

Symantec actually did a really good job with this version. Haven't had a single problem with this program.

I turned off automatic checking and run at windows startup and my boot times now smoke. The "checking email" icon still flashes in the toolbar, as does, "requesting virus scan" in excel and word when opening a document, so it looks to me that what I really need to be running is still doing so in the background.

Besides the fast boot up, a ton of system crashes ended and perfproc/winmgmt adap errors started disappearing from my event log, so it looks good so far! I could never complete a tape backup when running NAV for example. Now, no problems.

any heads up on whether I am actually still virus protected?

:}

I am running Windows 2000 Professional and am having a problem installing any version of Norton; including 7.01 corporate. It says I have to be in 95/98 to install. I know there is something about the apcompat.exe file or something, but will that help in this case? I need virus protection!!

i have alwayshated norton products cause every one i have tryed has screwed up my computer on way or another i use mcaffe virus scan nt version 4.0.3a and it "settles down quickly and intercepts viruses flawlessly"

Oh well, hope you don't have to upgrade to the 4.5 version.

That's the version that officially supports Windows 2000, and it causes the PC to srop about 50% of its performance.

I tried it on 6 PC's, and everyone slowed down. In the end we binned it and got Norton. No problems since.

The 4.5 release does work fine on Windows 95 and NT4, but on Win98 and Win2k, it sucks the big one!