Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kooler

Windows 2000 Queries - Games/OpenGL/STAC Compression

I've recently been struggling with Windows 2000 to make it run to the best of its ability for my needs.

Here are my problems/queries:

[o] OpenGL in Windows2000 leaves a little to be desired. I am an avid quake2/3/half life player and therefore OpenGL is very important to me. However, I have been having some problems. Initially, I could not even get Quake2 and a couple of OpenGL dependant games to work, although Quake 3 and Half Life chose to run stormingly. After a bit of searching, I came across the registry fix with NVidia Detonator 2 drivers here on ntcompatible, applied it and all my OpenGL games worked. However, performance in all games suffered a great deal. With my TNT2 Ultra, I get a timedemo of 60fps at good times. However, with this registry tweak I couldnt hit 40fps.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I want to know if there are any other ways to prevent the "Glide Buffers failed!" error message when running some OpenGL games. If I could get Quake2 working without tweaking the registry, I know that my fps would be a hell of a lot more satisfying.

[o] My second query is upon software compression on internet service providers. Back when I had Windows 98 SE installed, a local ISP (Jolt), which supports STAC compression gave me very satisfying pings indeed (I'm on ISDN and I got as low as 26 in Quake2 - no ****). However, as hard as I try Windows 2000 refuses to allow this compression - so my pings are in the 50-60 region again, as opposed to my previous 30-40.

Many of you will be wondering what I'm complaining about (I know that some people ping 250) but if I can reach such pings on Win98, surely there is some way to enable STAC compression - is there a patch, will it be in SP1?

[o] Next question is about DirectX. I understand that Windows 2000 Professional already has DirectX 7.0a preinstalled - but I have had some problems with the game Grim Fandango. I read what there is written on this site and having followed the instructions - I got it working to a certain point - but as written here, it keeps crashing back to the desktop. As far as I know, there is no way to fix this but if you have any ideas or methods in getting around this problem I would be interested to find out. Perhaps DirectX 8 will fix this? When is that out by the way?

[o] And finally, a query on my MS Sidewinder Gamepad. It refuses to detect it - nor any software install - I downloaded the 3.0 software from the sidewinder website, but it refuses to install. Having spent quite a bit of money on this device, I would be interested in getting it working in the environment that is Windows 2000.

Thanks for any replies!

Alex Christopher

aka Kooler

kooler@quake99.freeserve.co.uk

ICQ#: 13999992

P3 600 (non coppermine)

128MB PC100 RAM

Chaintech 6TATA-2 Motherboard

Creative 3D Blaster TNT2 Ultra

10GB UDMA/33 Maxtor HDD

Sound Blaster Live! value

1. Try different reference drivers. The latest are not always the best.

2. Dunno about this.

3. As far as I know there is no fix for this. Many games that do not officially support Windows 2000 crash back to the desktop. The problem is with the game and not with Windows 2000. Lucasarts needs to release a patch for Grim Fandago.

4. Dunno about this one. My Sidewinder Gamepad (Gameport) works fine connected to my SBLIVE! Value. I had some trouble using it on RC2. So I had to edit a .INF. But ever since RC3 I never had to edit the .INF. (Are you using a final release of 2000)