Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jw

win98/nt dual boot?

1-i put win98 (fat32) on the c :(seperate h-drive)master.

2-i put nt 4.0 (fat) on d :(seperate h-drive)as a slave.

3-i boot up to win98.(no dual boot choice)

4-is there suppose to be a dual boot screen generated by nt on the c: drive?

thanks,jw

NT 4.0 can't read FAT32 partition, your need FAT on the boot drive(C smile inorder for NT bootloader to work.

Hi,

Personnally, I've must have Win98 because my scanner,an HP Scanjet 3300C, don't work under win2k (drivers must be developped for this summer). frown

When I've install win2k first, I try after to install win98 and it was impossible.

So, I've first install win98 in my D drive (one of my 3 partitions), and after install win2k on the c partition. But, if you do this you must run the install from win98, or the 2k installation will failled.

Now I've a system really stable, in w2k like in w98 (crazy, is'nt it ? wink )

------------------

System :

mobo DFI P2XBL/D

biproc PII 266

HD 6.5 G

Ram 64Mo too small...

Solaris is correct, NT4 can't read FAT32 and your best bet is to re-do the partitions and install Win98 on a FAT16 partition.

There is a way to leave Win98 on FAT32 and still install NT4, lookie here ... but this way isn't the easiest wink

Win98 has to be on the first partition to create a successfull dualboot with NT4 or Win2000.

It is possible to dual boot NT (NTFS) and 98 (FAT32) another way without having 98 on the first partition, allowing you to use 1 big drive, and have your main 98 partition over 4GB

1- back up anything you need

2- erase the partition table on your drive using delpart.exe utility

3- using a 98 boot disk, run FDISK, but do not enable FAT32 (large drive support)

3- create a 125mb partition (FAT), make it active, and exit

4- restart, and format C:

5- reboot and run FDISK again, create an extended partition that uses the remaining space on the drive, then create logical drives in that partition in this order -(1) NT Partition, (2) 98 Partition, then if desired (3)+ can be partitions for whatever file sys you want.

6- exit fdisk, reboot.

7- format ONLY the partitions you will be using for Win98 (should be E: at this point, plus whichever others you made)

8- install NT (remember that C: is a boot partition- install NT to D: (the second partition on the drive)- make sure that you make the EMERGENCY RESCUE DISK.

9- once NT is installed reboot, go to disk administrator and format any other NTFS partitions you made (the 98 partitions you formatted earlier will show up as unknown format type- don't do anything to them at this point)

10- install WIN98 now, remember that NTFS partitions will not be visible to 98 so you will be installing to D:\Windows (which is actually the E: drive you formatted earlier- when you NTFS formatted the orig D:, (98 can't see NTFS so letters are reassigned) C: is still you boot partition (Visible to both NT and 98 because is FAT)

At this point the dirve looks like this

/C:Boot(FAT) / D:NT(NTFS) / D:WIN98(FAT32)

plus any other partitions you made.

11-reboot, you will boot to win98 only, this is ok, thats why you made the NT rescue disk.

12- Reboot using the NT setup disks, follow instructions until you get to the option to "REPAIR A PREVIOUS NT INSTALLATION", select this option by hitting 'R'.

13- Select **ONLY** the "INSPECT BOOT SECTOR" option.

14- This will repair the boot sector and reenable the NT OS Loader, giving you the option of 98 or NT on bootup.

(You can reinstall win 98 with this setup, without ruining the boot sector again, as I have had to do it, and didn't hit any snags with that, I just told 98 setup not to use unallocated space, and do not replace files. I haven't had to reinstall NT to see if that affected it or not)

At this point, your 98 drives will be,

c:Boot

D:Windows

E:

F:....depending how many partitions you made as it can't even see the NTFS partitions.

Your NT drives will look a little odd though.

C:Boot

D:NT

F:next partition

could be any jump next depending on the order of any further partitions you made.

To fix this, go to Disk Administrator, on any of the Win 98 drives, tell NT to "Do Not Assign Drive Letter" (under TOOLS, ASSIGN DRIVE LETTER), Then manually reassign your remaining NTFS drives in the proper order if you wish so that they go E:,F:,G:,etc.

-you can also do this for additional drives, but you don't need boot sector, so just format each logical drive how you want it.

This works good, however you can't access NTFS from 98, or FAT32 from NT, one thing you probably should do if you don't have a JAZ drive, is on your secondary drive, make a FAT partition which both can read in case you want to swap files back and forth between the OS's. (I have a JAZ so I didn't do this, but I believe it would work great)- probably doesn't have to be real big, maybe 1 or 2 GB but drive space is so cheap now that it is worth it to have that option.

Good Luck, it soulnds more complicated than it is. I forget the original source for these instructions, so I can't give credit where credit is due (I didn't figure it out) but it works great.

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 16 June 2000).]