Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
allvtec21m

shut down problem with 98se

i have win2k and 98 se dual boot for about 2 weeks now, out of no where windows 98 wont shut down no more it will hang on the shut down screen but it lets me restart fine?

You may require the Win 98 SE Shutdown supplement, you can find it at the MS site under windows 98. It fixes some kind of shutdown problem.

ya i went and tried we downloading it, it installed and reboots fine but i tried to shut down and it just hangs, anyone have any ideas, when i go to shut down now i restart out of windows 98 boot into 2000 and then shut down from there frown

Just let it restart, when it gets to the Video Bios screen, hit the power button. Damn, thats what i did for the longest time, Win98se sucks a$$

wow thats messed up how did you fix it? it sucks cause no one here but me will take the time to reboot into 2000 and shut down they just hit the power botton then when i go to turn the computer on scan disk runs and finds errors frown

I had the same problem whereby it crashed every time on shutdown. I got the shutdown supplement from MS and it helped a bit. i.e. it shutdown properly about 1 in 5 goes instead of not at all. Then one day my computer had a major spazz attack, crashed, complained on reboot about an error in the registry and that it wants to go back to the previous known correct registry. Ever since that day, its been fine. I've no idea what changes were made as it restores the previous correect registry and overwrites the current one which it says is corrupt.

- - -

As for enduring scandisk on startup after a failed shutdown, edit your msdos.sys file in the root dir and add this line to it:

AutoScan = 0

This will turn off scandisks annoying habit of running and telling you your machine wasn't properly shutdown when you are well aware of the fact that it just crashed!

Setting the number to 1 will turn it on and run after prompting, and setting it to 2 will cause it to run without a prompt. 0 is best imho.

Enough rant... smile