Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rice-Boy

Win2k continuously restart

Can anyone help... for some reason after restarting my computer yesterday.. My win2k will boot to login screen and then restart it self automatically.. It a continuously restart loop.

I even tried using F8 and using safe mode and it does the same thing.. I also tried all the options in F8 still the same thing.

Can anyone please help

thx..

You probably get a illegal op or something...BSOD. The default is to reboot the system after such an event, so that's what's happening to u. Causes are many...give me more details. Could be hardware configuration, drivers...

Did you ever install like an old version of pc anywhere ? I know an installing an older version of PC Anywhere did the exact thing to me as you are describing. Other than that we need more details. Whats the very last thing you see on the screen before it reboots ?

If no one else can think of anything, you can always try refreshing your installation. To do that, boot off the cd, press enter to continue (not repair yet!), F8 I agree, then choose to repair your existing installation. It will re-copy all files and set the registry back to defaults. You won't have to reinstall any of your programs though.... it behaves exactly like an upgrade from a previous OS. You will have to reinstall drivers and critical updates though.

Hmm i don't remember doing anything special.. the last thing i installed was the aureal beta drivers.. But i installed it before so i don't think that cause the problem but not sure..

Can't be the hardware cause everything is the same as before.

Ok i have tried to do the repair thing but it ask for my emergency disk but i don't have one.. how can i get one now??

To repair....

like I said, the first time it comes up asking to repair, DON'T! Just continue the installation. Act as if you are installing it for the first time. You will get to a screen that says something like install to another directory or repair installation. That's when you choose repair, and it will try to fix you current installation. This 'refresh' install has always worked for me, no matter what the problem!

Thx guys.. I finally got my win2k fixed.. I check out microsoft support page and found out how to manually make a emergency disk and it work perfectly after doing the repair..

I don't know what cause this problem but everything is working fine now smile..

hmm..tired maybe i shouldnt post...how do u do a rdisk in win2k? =)

So what did you do to fix the problem? Restore using CD or a neat trick we would all like to know?

Ned

Hmm what i did was boot to dos and copy the following 3 files to a floppy disk and it will be your emergency disk that it ask for when you try to do a repair of win2k.

the files are

setup.log

autoexec.nt

config.nt

that should do it.. it repair my win2k and everything was the same as before.. didn't have to reinstall anything.

Forgot to mention that u can find those 3 files in ur

winnt\repair

folder..