Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spillins

Grub Question Please

Hello, I'm new to linux and am trying to setup mythtv on a system. One of the instructions is to change the default on boot from default=1 to default = 0 I have been trying to edit this in the terminal but keep coming up with this result:

[root@dhcp3594357934 mythtv]# /boot/grub/grub.conf

bash: /boot/grub/grub.conf: Permission denied

[root@dhcp3594357934 mythtv]#

Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

Being new to Linux, and needing to edit your grub.conf, I would reccommend using gedit. become root, type gedit and press enter. In gedit, go to /boot/grub/grub.conf

You can then edit as you wish, and save.

As you grow with Linux, you will discover the wonders of editing files with vi.. wink

Thanks for the quick reply, I did that and got it to edit, thanks for the great suggestion.

You mean it opened up another terminal like the first one you used or something that looked sort of like a lame word processor? I'll assume the later. This would be gedit. You don't type where you want to go in that space, you must first go to the file in the same way you would if you were looking for a document with a word processor.

Do as before. be root and type gedit and hit enter. click on "open", and another box will come up.

Under "folders" in the left hand pane you will see...

./

../

and other stuff below it.

click the ../ twice, then twice again.

still under "folders" look for

/boot

double click it and look for grub, double click it, then look in the right hand pane and double click grub.conf

You can then edit what you need, click on "save" and close it out.

That's it.

Hmm, Spiilins did you just edit your last post while I posted my last? I could have sworn you posted that another screen came up? Either you edited your last post or I'm loosing it... :x

Quote:
As you grow with Linux, you will discover the wonders of editing files with vi...

Not if you value your sanity... wink

Quote:
Quote:
As you grow with Linux, you will discover the wonders of editing files with vi...

Not if you value your sanity... wink

Are you insinuating there are actually sane computer owners ?

Hmm... Let's see, Emacs yes, Vi, Vim, and Vile, uh, yeah, ok, joe well maybe, but I'm still looking... I use whichever one saves source code properly, and does good stuff... 8) I'm as sane as any computer dude... :x

When I don't have X on a box I use vi. When I have X, I use gedit. You're right, which ever one gets the job done.