Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jw

nt in reverse/w2k going forward?

i have-300mmx amd-k\6,160 ram, matrox g200 sd/pci 8 meg,usb,ext aol-dsl modem,etc

clutch or anyone else this is my nt update:

i loaded nt on a 4 gig h-drive,results:

1-it will only load aol 3.o(bad).

2-it will not load office 2000 without service pack 3.(bad-Internet Explorer-5 on this disk)

3-when i try to d-load service pack 3(much less the latest 6a)error message says:"this program does not support the protocol for accessing d-loads"

4-so far, no usb support(bad-for my dsl and web cam)

5-(GOOOD)UNREAL PLAYS THE BEST I'VE EVER SEEN WITHOUT UP[censored] VID DRIVERS.

6-had to put this hard drive back in too post this message(normal)

QUESTION----?? is a service pack gonna help me or will win2k support all the above? or is

linux my future?

thanks so much for your help,jw

(will not trade out h-drives till i get a reply--geeez what a life)

Win2k for all of the above......comes with IE 5...office 2k goes in flawlessly wihtout a reboot. My USB mouse even works in safemode. Win2k is the way to go.

I love Win2K. I used to love NT 4.0 (and still like it a lot) but Win2K Pro is a mjor improvement. I don't know what it will be like for you with a 300MHz AMD proc tho, but everything else should be great. If you keep NT, just use the Service Packs that I told you about and you will be fine. I have Office 2K on a few machines here at work and they have WinNT 4.0 SP5 on them. What kind of mobo do you have? I have heard of the nightmares that others have had with some mobos so you may want to check that out.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Quote:
Originally posted by clutch:
I love Win2K. I used to love NT 4.0 (and still like it a lot) but Win2K Pro is a mjor improvement. I don't know what it will be like for you with a 300MHz AMD proc tho, but everything else should be great. If you keep NT, just use the Service Packs that I told you about and you will be fine. I have Office 2K on a few machines here at work and they have WinNT 4.0 SP5 on them. What kind of mobo do you have? I have heard of the nightmares that others have had with some mobos so you may want to check that out.

ok, i give---whats mobo? i'm having a hard time finding the right service packs from ms.my nt only allows aol 3.0 to work.is there a way too get the sp3,4,5 in my condition?jw

mobo=motherboard

Download Service Pack 6a from Microsoft and install it.