Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jw

loading nt 4.0

i have a 300mmx amd k6-3/d, 160 ram.

i'm using my win98 bootup disk with cd rom drivers to get too where i can load nt.doesen't work. i formated the harddrive and added system files,still won't install.how and where do i make an nt boot disk?under i386? i tried to install nt on my d drive while in c drive(win98 in c).that doesn't work.any suggestions?jw

What OS can you get into? Is it just DOS/98? It sounds like that is what you have to work with at your location. If you can get into DOS with CD support, then run winnt.exe /OX to get your floppies made, or use winnt.exe /b /s:<cd-drive>\i386 to get a floppyless install. It should see your Win98 install and offer you the option of dual booting with it. This same info can be gathered from winnt.exe/? (for 16-bit OSs) or winnt32.exe/? (for 32-bit OSs). Good Luck.

Also, if you go floppy-less, be sure to get the path right as my listed one may be different from yours.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

A much easier way (if your BIOS supports it) is to boot the NT 4 setup directly from the CDROM.

If you go into your bios settings, find the option which specifies the boot device. This will usually be something like A,C or C. See if there is an option to boot from CDROM. If so, set your boot device to this. You also have to ensure that your drive is detected at startup - the easiest way to do this is to go into Standard CMOS Setup, and set each IDE device to AUTO.

Insert your WIN NT 4.0 CDROM, Save the bios settings as you quit bios setup and hopefully NT Setup will boot directly from CDROM.