Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
crunchyjedi

NTFS advantages?

Other than security, are there any advantages to using NTFS as opposed to FAT32? Do apps load faster or run better?

It runs faster for me. Plus you get file and/or folder specific compression. Plus I have had a lot less file corruption using NTFS.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

NTFS uses an enhanced binary tree to locate files. This is great for a large number of files located on one partition.

Smaller partitions such as 500mb or lower wouldn't really gain much from this.. But 1 or more gig partitions would. FAT or FAT32, an enhanced version of FAT with better cluster support, uses Link Tables and means it can take longer to locate files on a drive with a lot of smaller files.

NTFS also requires less defrags. Some would not agree with this, the reason why MS includes DISK-KEEPER with Win2000.

Plus with NTFS its easy to choose the cluster size and NTFS supports much faster compression then FAT32 and has the compression attribute when you right click files.

If windows 2000 is the *ONLY* o/s you are using, use NTFS. Use the CONVERT util to convert from FAT32 to NTFS if windows 2000 is installed on a FAT32 Partition.

If you want to dual boot between DOS., WIn98/98 and 2000 ensure your system partition is at least FAT or FAT32.

Hope this helps..

Quote:
Originally posted by crunchyjedi:
Other than security, are there any advantages to using NTFS as opposed to FAT32? Do apps load faster or run better?

For me it runs terribly slow frown I have a Ultra 160 SCSI drive. When I went NTFS it takes longer to load apps and it is much much louder. I did give it a straight week though smile For games It took alittle longer to load. FAT32 is fast for games on my system. You should try both and see what suits your needs.

I got (after asking a question on this board) the advice to run NTFS on my systempartition (ie C smile and to run FAT32 on my other partitions, where I have my apps and games, and I must say it seems to be working great. Of course I cant say I have seen any specific "+" och "-" in doing so.. but i feels nice smile

my 2 cents...

Turbo Grunkamoj

hmm the first smiley in the above post, shouldnt have been there, what I really meant was this: (ie C(colon)) but I guess you already figured that one out laugh

does the good old format c: dos command work on a NTFS converted drive???

I wouldn't recommend using NTFS on the primary partition in case u want to get rid of W2K (NT). It'll be a pain in the ass to convert it back to FAT/FAT32...plus your DOS bootdisks won't even let u see the NTFS partition