Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LM

anyone know of a program like this?

We have a second line here which is used exclusively as a fax line, I'd like to use that line for internet access as well, but is there a program that will disconnect the computer whenever there is an incoming fax, I guess I could use a fax program to recieve and then print the faxes, but I'd rather have the fax machine answer...can anyone think of a program that would do this for me?

thanks

There's actually hardware that's supposed to be able to do this--a little "router" box that would identify the type of transmission. Having been in business for myself once, I remember coming across this in some research I did on cost-saving solutions.

I don't remember, however, who made it. But now at least you know what to look for.

I have seen what Syncope is talking about and I think they have them at Radio Shack. Though I can't remember if it could discern between PC/Fax/Voice or just Data/Voice.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Hi,

Isn't LM refering to a piece of hardware that would recognize an incoming fax when he's surfing the net, and then disconnect the internet connection, in order to receive the fax? That's how I understood it.

This hardware that Syncope and clutch are refering to just recognizes whether an incoming call is a voice, fax, etc. In other words, if your line is already busy (because you are surfing the net), then this hardware doesnt help at all.

If you just want to use the same line for fax / internet (but not at the same time), then I dont see what the problem is. You can easily plug two phone devices (your fax and a modem)to the same socket, without them interfering with each other in any way. As far as I know, no software can recognize an incoming call, when the line is already busy.

Maybe you could give us some more details, about what you mean exactly, LM?

Maybe I misunderstood the whole thing... Sorry

Anyhow, just a few ideas

Andy

Actually there is a way if the line is busy

I cant think of the name of it but I remember coming accross a program+hardware package that will recognise the beep on the line when call waiting is on of the incoming call and the software will pause the net connection and send the fax connection to the fax machine or fax/data software on the PC and resume the internet connection when the fax is finished

The problem is actually hardware & software.

The modem would need to be aware of the particular call-waiting tones used by your telco, and then signal the "modem user" - in this case DUN (dial-up networking) or equivalent - to close the connection and flip to the other line.

This is currently not possible with the dial-up built in to Win9x and NT/W2K. I'm also pretty certain that no modems will do this either.

I'd recommend www.efax.com as a solution.

---

Update:

I've just found this thread - http://www.ntcompatible.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001129.html - which mentions a "call waiting" modem. This may give you the solution to the hardware half of the problem.

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

[This message has been edited by YuppieScum (edited 26 April 2000).]

well, I haven't really found what I'm looking for, and thinking about it some more, I don't think there's going to be an easy solution to this.

What I was thinking of was a program like along the lines of an internet call waiting program...some of them give you the option to hangup and receive the call when there's an incoming call, but you need call waiting on your line, and that's not really what I want. Thanks for your ideas, I was hoping there was something available to do that, but wasn't really expecting to find something that would do it for me

of course I want DSL! but we live in a rural area, and DSL isn't available here. I think cable will be available but not for another 6 months or so. I'm stuck on dialup again for a while, I had DSL when I was in college, and boy do I miss it now... frown

I'll never get cable, asdl, isdn where i live (scotland, UK) but I might just move 1 mile down the road where they have it all.

(all to do with population density V size of garden, or yard as you call it) :-)

Look/search for a modem that supports "call waiting".

found these:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/modems/cwusb/index.html

http://www.extremehw.com/reviews/misc/actiontec/index.html

hope this helps.