Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jw

nt setup/partition

i have a amd-k6/3-d 300mmx,160 ram.i am installing nt 4.0 on a 4 gig h-drive.i formatted the h-drive with fat32 from a win98 bootup disk.i booted up and put in the 3 disks. on the last disk the screen says, setup cannot find your nt partition.

before setting up with these three disks, i created two partitions(the first 3902m, the second 126m)assuming nt would see the large one. oh well--thats where i'm at.any ideas? do i need to format the h-drive with a nt disk that has ntfs on it? where do i make such a disk? doing it the hard way,thanks jw

NT will not install on a partition larger than approx. 2GB. I think that 125MB was the min. for the partition, but in either case it's viewing both partitions as incorrect. Setup one for 2GB and the rest can be one partition. Once NT is up and running with current serivce packs, you can make much larger partitions with the rest of your drives.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

NT and Fat32 are not compatible, ie NT can't see any partitions as usable if they are formatted Fat32.

Ed

Oops, missed that part in his listing...

wink

------------------

Regards,

clutch

It should see it still, but it will ask you if you want to delete and make another. Then you will be prompted to pick a file system (fat16 or NTFS).

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Quote:
Originally posted by clutch:
It should see it still, but it will ask you if you want to delete and make another. Then you will be prompted to pick a file system (fat16 or NTFS).

thanks clutch.i have too plan ahead here because i have to remove h-dives
to load nt.you say it's ok too use the win98
startup disk to make my partition?i should make a 2gig partition available?should i make a primary 2gig,and an extended rest of the harddrive?should i put in a volume label
so nt will know to go there?DO I NEED ANY NT PARTITIONING BOOTUP DISKS?JW

OK, I think I know what you are trying to do. You want to dual-boot between Win98 AND NT, correct? This is easy with NT. It looks like you have about 4GB to work with, so I would say you can split the drive down the middle so you can have separate and clean installs (You can have NT and 98 on the same partition, but it would have to be FAT16 which would make it a 2GB primary partition anyway). Now, are you familiar with the use of "fdisk"? Because you can use that to make 2 2GB partitions (FAT16) to prepare for your install. Next, after you format the primary partition with your Win98 startup disk, install 98 onto the first (c:\) partition. After you have that up and ready to go, you can either:

1. Use the NT boot disks to install NT; or

2. Run "winnt.exe" from the cd (with the "/b" switch that I mentioned in the other post to go floppyless if you like) to get the files copied to your hd.

Once you reboot and get to the point that you can install NT to a partition, it will show you your current setup. You should see an entry for "Windows" on the primary partition and the other partition will should indicate that it's "empty". If you didn't format the other partition it will ask you for the file system type that you want to use. For now, I would suggest FAT16, as this will give you a chance to work with the install from Win98 if you need to. I hope this gets you goin'! Good Luck.

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch

NP bud. Do this;

1. Fdisk the HD into 2 partitions (one of which being a little less than 2GB)

2. Run winnt setup from floppies

3. Pick first partition to install NT to

4. Let it format the partition with FAT16

5. Install NT

6. Rejoice in the fact that you have a real OS installed that has almost no native support for games.

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch

You can also use the disk partitioning function of the setup floppies to partition it for you. You can just tell NT setup to delete all the partitions and then create at least one to install NT on. You can wait till later and use Disk Administrator to handle the rest of the free space remaining and make that another partition.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Quote:
OK, I think I know what you are trying to do. You want to dual-boot between Win98 AND NT, correct? This is easy with NT. It looks like you have about 4GB to work with, so I would say you can split the drive down the middle so you can have separate and clean installs (You can have NT and 98 on the same partition, but it would have to be FAT16 which would make it a 2GB primary partition anyway). Now, are you familiar with the use of "fdisk"? Because you can use that to make 2 2GB partitions (FAT16) to prepare for your install. Next, after you format the primary partition with your Win98 startup disk, install 98 onto the first (c:\) partition. After you have that up and ready to go, you can either:

1. Use the NT boot disks to install NT; or
2. Run "winnt.exe" from the cd (with the "/b" switch that I mentioned in the other post to go floppyless if you like) to get the files copied to your hd.

Once you reboot and get to the point that you can install NT to a partition, it will show you your current setup. You should see an entry for "Windows" on the primary partition and the other partition will should indicate that it's "empty". If you didn't format the other partition it will ask you for the file system type that you want to use. For now, I would suggest FAT16, as this will give you a chance to work with the install from Win98 if you need to. I hope this gets you goin'! Good Luck.

smile

some people just won't go away. i'm makin this harder than it should be.
for now clutch, i just want NT on the h-drive by it self, NO DUAL BOOT! when i use the nt setup disks it says it can't see the nt partition(repeating myself).is there a simple partition here that will allow me maximum h-drive space for nt? thanks,jw

Quote:
NP bud. Do this;

1. Fdisk the HD into 2 partitions (one of which being a little less than 2GB)

2. Run winnt setup from floppies

3. Pick first partition to install NT to

4. Let it format the partition with FAT16

5. Install NT

6. Rejoice in the fact that you have a real OS installed that has almost no native support for games.

smile

oh no----how will i play unreal tournament? import drivers up the wazoo?

Depends, what kind of hardware you got? If you have a 3Dfx board, you can use Glide (and it should work great). If you have a TNT/Rage128/G400 you should get good OpenGL support in NT to play it as well. I would get the latest service pack for NT and latest drivers for you hardware.

------------------

Regards,

clutch