Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rbarbier

Outlook with Dual boot.

What I would like to do is have Outlook look the same in Windows98 and 2000. Example: if I check my mail in Windows 2000 then when I go to Win98 I want the message to appear there also. I am using Outlook that came with Office 2000. Any help please. Also I installed Office on D: both times. Once in 2000 and once in 98.

Also is there a way to have my "favorites" in IE to be the same in 98 as in 2000 so if I add a favorite in 2000 it will be there in 98 also.

Thanks in advance!

I have no idea about the first part, but to get Win98 and 2k to share a favourites folder, you can use TweakUI to redirect win2k to the win98 folder.

Under the "My Computer" tab, there is "Special Folders". Just use the pulldown to select "Favourites", hit the "Change location" button, and then change it to "C:\WINDOWS\Favorites" (assuming that windows is installed to C and in the Windows folder). That should do it.

Sorry, I don't have a link to TweakUI, but I'm sure that a quick search on a search engine will find it.

Ok. Thanks. That fixed my favorites. Now anyone knows how to fix Outlook 2000 to use the same mailbox so if I check my mail in Win2000 it will show up in Windoze98. Thanks in advance.

Simple solution for your putlook problem(and it's probably the only one your gonna get)

In the OS you use the most don't change your settings.....in the otherone(probably 98) set Outlook to leave a copy of the messages on the server. SO when you download in 98 they will be left there. When going to win2k you will downlaod them again and then remove them fromt he server, having a copy in both outlooks.

I've doing this for a year now. It doesn't matter where or how many times you install outlook. The secret is your xxx.pst file. You need to locate it on a partition visible to both OS's.

1. Setup outlook to work on first OS. Close Outlook.

2. Search your hard drive for *.pst

3. Move that file to the partiton that both OS's can mount.

4. Launch outlook. It will tell you It can't find your xxx.pst. Browse to where you moved it to. Shutdown and boot to other OS.

5. Set up outlook on OS 2.

6. Search for *.pst again and delete it. Make sure you don't delete the file you just moved in step 3.

7. Launch Oulook and browse to the xxx.pst from step 4. Now it's done.

OK this works for Outlook Express, dont know about 2000

Windows 2000 stores mails in c:\documents and settings\username\application data\Identities\{BA10A280-E408-11D3-85AF-9217A0E14E40}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Win 98 stores it in c:\windows\Identities\{BA10A280-E408-11D3-85AF-9217A0E14E40}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

To fix this in Win2000 start Outlook goto tools/options maintenance tab click the store folder button write down the location listed

Now go to Win98 same thing as above but change the location to the same as Win2000 and all should work fine

Sheesh people... it's not hard.

Win98 (Assuming SE) and Win2k Build 2195

In Outlook Express pull down the Tools menu and select Options. Under the Maintenance Tab, Click on the Store Folder button. Just point it to a mutual folder where you store your mail.

Do this in both Win2k and Win98

FYI, I use a folder on a drive that I never format. Mail is always backed up. I've got mail going back 5 years now from my Eudora (shudder) days.