Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sifter

A Good Firewall For Win2k

Is anyone aware of a good firewall for Windows 2000? Anything that I have tried either isnt compatible or just isnt robust.

I use black ice defender. One of the most versatile and better firewalls on the market today.

Note that ZoneAlarm doesn't work with ICS under W2K, so if you are sharing an internet connection to the rest of the household, look elsewhere.

:}

horsesh1t, put zonealarm on both comps, thats what i do and it works fine, don't just put it on the Gateway. Put it on both

Their own site says it doesn't work with ICS, and when I installed it on my (gateway) machine, I lost all connectivity from the other machines when I locked it down. I will try your suggestion to install it on both of them.

I just checked the site and V2.1 (I tried v2.0) says it now DOES work with ICS but not NAT...cool beans!!!

i have zone alarm on all my computers works great the web site has a great way to test fire walls to

I'm using Black Ice too. Tried Zone Alarm and seemed to work well, but setting up all the programs for internet access was a pain in the rear. I'm not as worried about what is going out as I am about what is coming in, and Black Ice handles this task well.

One question, however. I am currently running version 1.9.25 (think it's the latest, d-loaded the upgrade last night) and applied the pre-beta Win2k files as directed, yet I still get the 0.0.0.0 attack, filter failed.

The Win2k files were supposed to take care of that, no?

I went to the sheilds up site, and Black Ice seems to be functioning correctly (everything stealth), but I wanna get rid of that error...

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally posted by ThC 129:

I use black ice defender. One of the most versatile and better firewalls on the market today.

------------------

-AciD

>-----------------------<

Hardware:

BP6 running QQ Beta BIOS

HPT 366 1.231 Beta UDMA66

Dual Celeron 366 @ 566MHZ

128MB Samsung -GL

IBM UDMA66 13.6g

WDC UDMA33 5.1g

Toshiba 32x

OTI Socrates 2x2x6x

V3-2000-AGP clocked @ 166

SB AWE64 Value

Kingston PCI 10/100 NIC

>-----------------------<

Software:

Win2K Pro Retail (2195)

Office 2000 Premium

NA ViruScan NT 4.03a

Mobo Monitor 4.10

I use blackice also. www.networkice.com has an extensive knowledge base on configuring ftp servers, web servers, icq, games, ICS, behind blackice. Blackice will still protect those open ports as well from common attacks.

I use @guard, it's a bit old but if you know how to configure the stuff its really great. It can block banner ads and popups too, which really helps.

Volitaire

A+, MCSE, MCP+I, ACT

@guard doesnt work in Win2K

Pitty though, its great for stopping those programs that check with online authentication servers to make sure you arnt using it past its expiration date, like Serv-U FTP smile

Important Note about ZoneAlarm under ICS and W2K. The latest version (2.1) *does* work, but the ICS machine is only allowed to set MEDIUM level security (both local AND internet), which is basically "better than nothing" with no port blocking etc. Hopefully, they will allow you to move to HIGH in an upgrade or two. Otherwise, it has been great.