Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisX420

AOL5.0 & Win2k???

Not to sound arrogant but why even run Win2000 then use AOL 5.0. Its asking for trouble...if anything can compromise stability it's AOL

what the heck??#

I don´t understand, but ok. The problem is that AOL dials the number but cn´t connect to server. I guess I only need the dial-up adapter.

If you goto aol keyword BETA and sign up, you will have access to beta versions of aol that work fine on win2k. I don't think the current official release will work properly.

Good point! I figured that you had a dual boot config or another machine with win98 (doesen't everybody! smile ). I don't know how else to get it. I think the file is like 18 mb. Maybe you have a friend w/ a zip drive (assuming you have one or can borrow one) or a cd burner that could get for you.

How long does it take to get approved for the beta? Do they approve anyone? If not anyone know where I can download the beta? Like an FTP or something

------------------

Zer0

http://www.outpost21.com

Well, I put up a personal FTP that has the latest build of AOL 5.0 for Windows 2000. It's only a max of 14 kilobytes per second, but it's better than nothing right?

ftp://209.197.221.11

username: aol

password: aol

Pete

Oh yeah, and if you guys happen to run across any bugs, feel free to email them to me so I can report them. It'd suck to have a buggy final release of the software. In order to report it, I just need an exact time the error occured, the date, what error, what steps to reproduce the error if possible, and some system specs. =)

Pete

can you like tell me, how to get that prog started after downloading and installing? I can´t connect to that site.

If youre using AOL 5.0 be careful because Ive gotten alot of customer calls at my work where AOL installs its own TCP/IP stack and it completly hoses the TCP/IP in windows. As a result, your network, DSL, etc, anything that uses TCP/IP wont work as the version AOL installs is specifically written for AOL use, and it completely replaces the windows version. Now, Ive talked to people who have had this happen and people who havent. Im not sure why it messes with some people and doesnt with others. I do know this is the basis of the class action Lawsuit that was levied againts AOL. The only known cure for this (That I know of anyway) is to uninstall AOL and uninstall and reinstall DUN (in 98), TCP/IP in win2k.

greybear