Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spastic Computer Guru

Removing 2K

I want to uninstall Win2K from one of my computers. The PC has a drive partitioned into 2 parts, Win2K is on the Primary partition, 98SE is on the secondary partition. Is there any way to remove Win2K w/ out formatting, or w/ out causing an issue w/ 98?

The quickest way to do this is to go into win98, format the primary partition - do this under a dos prompt - format c: /s, then copy all the files from your secondary partition (including system files - ensure that show hidden files is activated under your folder options the best way to do this is probably using Xcopy - but I prefere the drag and drop method which while more time consuming is easier for me!).

Another way would be to boot uo with a win98 boot disk, format the primary partition with format c: /s (ensures that system files are copied) then perform a reinstallation of Win 98. THis while more time consuming will probably be the most successfull way of uninstalling win2K - and you get a nice fresh install at the same time.

If you have formatted to NTFS, you need to boot up with a win98 boot disk, delete the NTFS partition, create a FAT32 partition, format it then install win98.

Remember in all cases to copy anything you want from the priomary partition over to the secondary partition first, as everything on the primary partition will be lost.

A final alternative would be to purchase a program such as System Commander 2000 which will convert NTFS partitions back to FAT32 and vice versa - not sure if it works with Win 2K NTFS though.