Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

Adaptec Easy CD-Creator 4.02 & Win2000

Hi,

I purchased Adaptec Easy CD-Creator 4 on Friday last week.

I removed Easy CD 3.5c from my Win2000 installation, and then installed Easy CD 4.

At the end of the installation, it automatically upgraded the version to 4.02 with an enclosed update floppy disk.

However....

After the prompted re-boot Windows2000 hung at the colour full screen 'Starting Windows 2000'

I left it at this point for about 15 mins.

A hard re-boot on the PC didn't help.

After three attempts to get into Win2000, I was foced to choose the 'Last Known Good Configuration'

I'm now back into Win2000, all of the Easy CD 4 icons are still present, but of course non of them actually do anything.

I have e-mailed Adaptec tech support, still waiting for response.

Anybody else had this problem?

Yes this is a known problem. Sorry I don't remember all the exact details but use the search option for these forums and you will find the thread.

I had a simular problem. What kind of burner are you using. I found that my problem was an incompatability between the burner driver and the Adaptec Software.

Update your ASPI layer before you install ECDC. It is a must!

Alternatively, download the patch for ECDC for Windows 2000 from Adaptec. Basically doing the same thing, the small patch program install the latest ASPI layer.

Latest ASPI layer can be downloaded from http://win2kbox.cjb.net/

I've never been able to use EZ CD 4 deluxe under 2k for some reason. I can burn one CD sucessfuly, then that's it, ASPI error and coasters galore!! Tried 2 totally diff scsi cards, with no sucess. Turns out if I use Nero, or CDRWin I have no probs at all.

Anyway.... I installed ezcd and the 4.02 patch hoping it would fix my probs, turns out I can't even open EZCD now without Dr Watson deciding he wants to play too!!

------------------

Intel PIII 450

ASUS P2B-F (BIOS 1012.003 beta)

128 MB PC 100 SDRam

Diamond Viper 770 32Mb TNT2 (Det. 3.81)

Quantum Fireball 8.4Gb HDD

Tekram DC-310 SCSI Adapter

Panasonic CW-7502 SCSI CD-R

Mitsubishi Diamond Data 32x IDE CD Rom

Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64 (ES 1370)

Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D USB

Epson Stylus Color 400

Dynalink V1456VQE External 56k V.90

Daewoo 710b 17"

Windows 2000 2195.1

#NTCompatible on UNDERNET!!!

Hi,

I downloaded the ASPI files from Adaptec, version 4.6 is it?

The latest version available on their site.

I installed these, then installed ECDC4, re-booted, same error again.

I then went through the same process again, this time re-installing the ASPI files again between the install of ECDC4 and the re-boot.

Same story :-)

Still I await a response from Adaptec.

Personally I'm quite amazed that you can get ECDC 3.5c working with a simple pre-installation patch from adaptec.com, but ECDC4.02 which actually has a 'Windows2000 Compatible' sticker on the front of the box wont even install correctly!

For reference I'm using a Yamaha 4416s SCSI CD-RW chained off an Adaptec 2940uw.

I can't locate the pre-installation patch that you mention for installing 3.5c under Windows 2000. Where may I download this?

>TIA

My respond to BladeRunner,

Yes, you install the ASPI layer 4.57 first. Then reboot, then install the ASPI layer 4.60 then reboot.

Then install ECDC 4.0. I think ECDC 4.0 overwrite the ASPI layer with its older version (Just guessing). For me, I would make sure the problem is dead, I reapply ASPI layer 4.60 before I reboot my comp again.

That is my sequence of doing it.

By the way, please don't install DirectCD.

(Actually you can't get DirectCD to install anyway). It cause a lot of Kernel mode exception error (Blue Screen).

I tried Adaptec's 4.02 and it worked fine over a retail W2k with a Creative 8x4x32. The program is really crappy though - looked around and found Prassi Primo Plus (made by ex-Adaptec employees) and it is a simple interface and runs fine! Haven't lost s disc yet. The W2k compatibility sticker on the front of the Adaptec box is to lock in sucker - er, I mean customers...

LOL

Yes it would appear that I was 'suckered' :-)

I've been using Easy CD since version 3.0

I've never had any problems with it at all.

Version 3.5c worked fine under Win2k, but I thought it was about time I upgraded to the latest version.

I have tried everything!

I tried what one poster said.

Installed the pre-installation patch, re-booted, installed the 4.6 ASPI drivers, ran the check, re-booted.

Installed ECDC 4.02, re-ran the 4.6 ASPI installer, ran the checker again - showed 4.6

Then re-booted and hit exactly the same problem again, Win2k wont start! smile

Still awaiting a response from Adaptec.

I give them 2 more days, then it goes back.

I hear that Neo is quite good?

Of course in my last message I meant to say:

I hear NERO is good?

Late nights & early mornings, they are gonna kill me in the end.

Bladerunner,

I recheck my statement to make sure I didn't miss out anything. Obviously, I didn't miss out anything. But just like to know where actually you downloaded the ASPI layer? Becoz according to some source, although the version number seems to be the same but the content of it might be different.

Lets compare some of the crucial file needed by the Windows in order to run the ECDC.

CDR4vsd.sys 7/30/1999 60688 bytes \system32\drivers

cdrmmc.sys 8/19/1999 16640 bytes \system32\drivers

cdrpwd.sys 4/14/1999 69984 bytes \system32\drivers

cdudf.sys 8/19/1999 230656 bytes \system32\drivers

udfreadr.sys 7/29/1999 216304 bytes \system32\drivers

cdr4dll.dll 7/30/1999 47616 bytes \system32

roboex32.dll 10/27/1998 127996 bytes \system32

Same as yours?

Hi,

I'm stuck at work at the moment, waiting for CD's to write hence time to check out the forums smile

I'll check the files you listed tonight on my Win2k machine and see how our versions match up.

I've had to un-install ECDC again, I can't compare my files post installation of ECDC as I can't then get back into Win2k without using 'Last Known Good Configuration'

Thanks for your reply, I'll post my results later.

My goodness the Adaptec people really do have their heads up their arses. =)

Here's all the useful info I got from the discussion on "alt.comp.periphs.cdr".

"We appear to be getting issues on Windows 2000 where the user has 4.01 when up[censored], the problem does not happen if they have 4.00. Someone elsewhere has suggested a fix which appears to be helping people, maybe it will help you as well. We are collecting all the info we can and will replace the update patch shortly.

--

Best regards, Adrian Miller (On behalf of the Adaptec Software Products

Group)"

i have a 4x cdrw and adaptec excd creator 4 deluxe, in windows 2000, it'll only burn at 1x, but ezcd 3.5c burns at the full 4x, same with CDRWIN 3.8a. Any comments?