Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
greuben

audigy soundcard problems

I have started my system on Linux using Red Hat 9. Everything installed ok, I believe. My audigy soundcard won't work properly. I have been reading about this online. I am attempting the emu10k1 solution, but am getting stuck trying to get a successful make out of it. Here are some of the messages I'm receiving:

[gilbert@localhost emu10k1-v0.20a]$ make

make -Cscripts

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gilbert/emu10k1-v0.20a/scripts'

/var/spool/up2date/include/linux/version.h is missing. Please run make config

in your kernel source tree

make[1]: *** [get_version] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gilbert/emu10k1-v0.20a/scripts'

make: *** [opts] Error 2

[gilbert@localhost emu10k1-v0.20a]$

I only used a red hat distribution kernel and have never built the source code, although I have it on my system as an .rpm

Thanks for any advice.

I'm probably out of my league here, but support for the emu10k1 should be built in already. I voice is telling me that there may have been an issue with audigy sound cards and that module, but I am not sure. Hopefully someone will respond who has experience with one of these.

Do you have alsa installed on this system?

What happens if you just type in, at a command line. modprobe emu10k1 ? Does it give you an error or just return a command pronpt.

I have a SB Live card that I have yet to install, so this will be helpful to me also.

Here is the result of modprobe emu10k1:

[root@localhost root]# modprobe emu10k1

/lib/modules/2.4.20-24.9/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: init_module: No

such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including inva

lid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

/lib/modules/2.4.20-24.9/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod /lib/mod

ules/2.4.20-24.9/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o failed

/lib/modules/2.4.20-24.9/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod emu10k1

failed.

I'm not sure how to work through this problem, except I just installed the Alsa drivers and am getting sound now with them. I don't know if I should pursue the emi10k1 driver but I think I'd like to.

Thanks.