Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
N29

NTFS to Fat in Win2000

Is there any way to change my C: drive from NTFS to Fat. I want to instal a dual boot but can't because system drive is NTFS and Win98 cant write files to this drive.

Thanks!

Not with any MS app, The only app that will do that is partition magic. I would strongly advise against that however. I had a customer call in after he had done that and it FUBAR'ed his system. From what I understand powerquest is trying to make Patition magic compatible but I don't know when it will be. The only thing you can do now is fdisk and chop the drive up from there.

I second that. It fubared mine personally. It gave me some funky error and then I was left with a mutilated ntfs partition that wouldnt boot. I say be careful with partition magic in general. It isnt flawless you know. They know that thats why they always tell you to back up your data. I say only use it when necessary. Like a gun. Its not a toy.

I agree.

PQ-PM is like Russian roulette. I have lost the equivalent of 70$ when I bought a copy to solve the same NTFS to Fat prob.

PQ messed both W2K (completely) and WIN98 (partially) on my dual boot.

I therefore paid 70 bucks for the pleasure to format/reinstall W2K and one hour to rebuild a bunch of shortcuts on the W98 side because PM changed drives letters without asking me for the permission to do so.

I would definitely recommend PQ-PM to my best ennemy smile

[This message has been edited by FrogMaster (edited 27 March 2000).]

While I would dare to convert NTFS to FAT with NT4, I may not try it with Win2k. The reason is because it's actually a newer NTFS. You can't even install NT4 on a Win2k formatted partition unless you extract the setup file from service pack 6. O.k. forget that. I can guarantee you this. I personally have resized an NTFS partition containing WIN2K with PM 5. I also did a copy to mirror 2 partitions. I can move, resize and copy. Shrink the partition. Then create a new partition to install Win98. Done it at least ten times With Win2k. My machine currently has 4 partitons. 2 Win2k NTFS's, A Win98 FAT and an extra FAT with data. I've experienced a 0% failure rate with Partiton Magic.