Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JBoDEAN

Office2k SR1, beware!

Piece of garbage! I updated my office2000, now when I open up outlook or word, it opens/closes.....

I heard people get a "LOOP BOOT" to when they upgrade......Access is the only program i can open, and it will stay open.

Garbage =(

------------------

BoDEAN

http://www.sammyhagar.net

is your copy of office 2000 registered?

you have to register it before you install the sr1 patch, the sr1 has a piracy protetion thing, that if its not registered it will not work.

first i installed the patch, and had this problem, so i uninstalled office 2000, then reinstalled it, then registered it, then applied the patch, it worked fine.

i have the o2k SB edition.

i believe it is registered, how can I tell?

Can you tell me how to back up (what ifles to copy to disk) for outlook 2000 so i don tloose my emails/settings incase i ahve to reinstall it?

it may be registered, but you have to do it everytime you install it, the software won't know if you've registered it or not if you had just done a clean install since the last time you registered it.

i believe you can just reinstall office 2k over the copy you have now, to save all your settings, then register it after setup, then apply the patch again.

Well mine is not registered and it installed fine and everything seems to work (tried Access, Word, Excel, Powerpoint). I installed it via OfficeUpdate (dunno if there's another way).

well there is a cd you can buy, but thats about the only 2 ways

Re; the registered side of Office 2k..

It's my understanding from reading the notes/FAQ about it on the Microsoft Office webby, that owners of the normal Office2k disk are not required to register nor will they be required to register when the SR-1 patch is applied.

New copies of Office2k, however, which incorporate the SR-1 patch already, will be required to register within 50 occasions of opening the program, after those 50 times the program will cease to work.

I installed it yesterday, not had any problem with it whatsoever smile

Exorcist

>New copies of Office2k, however, which >incorporate the SR-1 patch already, will be >required to register within 50 occasions of >opening the program, after those 50 times >the program will cease to work.

You mean electronic registration?

What happen I do not have internet connection or BBS or modem connection but I register through the card that include in the package? Will Office 2000 automatically update its code so that it will continue to work after 50 times?

Electronic Registration is the main way, I believe - you send off your Key as part of the registration - and the Microsoft Centre or whatever it's called will send u back another code to finally register the product.

Presumably it works the same way through the card smile - they should send you the other code which would register the product.

That's what I read into it anyway smile

Exorcist

Apparently exsisting unregistered users of office 2000 will not be affected by the new use it 50 times and register it, All downloads of SR-1 do's not contain this registration code only newly purchased versions apply as from May 2000. Ive downloaded SR-1 and my office 2000 is fine all programs working perfectly.

Here is what TheRegister wrote about it, this should make things clear:

Quote:
Posted 22/03/2000 5:19pm by John Lettice

Office 2k SR-1 makes registration with MS compulsory

Compulsory registration for Microsoft Office is a reality, following the arrival of Service Release 1 (SR-1) for Office 2000 yesterday. As The Registerreported earlier this year, SR-1 reincorporates the Registration Wizard that appeared during Office 2k beta, and if you haven't registered the product after 50 uses, it stops working.

According to Microsoft, existing users installing SR-1 either via download or CD won't be affected by the Registration Wizard, but new purchasers, either retail or OEM, will have to use it. It works by the customer using the Internet, email, phone, fax or post to provide a 16 character installation ID and the country they're registering in, after which the Microsoft Registration Center sends them back an eight character confirmation code.

Mindful of previous ghastly privacy screw-ups, Microsoft says the Wizard "is designed to protect customer privacy through a simple and unobtrusive anonymous product registration process." Quite.

At the moment SR-1 is only available for individual users as an online update from microsoft.com. Corporate users can download an administrative update which can be used to apply SR-1 to client computers. Or you can order it on CD, with an estimated delivery time of six to eight weeks. The retail version is intended to start shipping in May.b

There's apparently one more gotcha if you want to go ahead with the online update. Win98Central tells us that IE is necessary in order for the update to proceed. If you haven't got IE installed when you run the update.exe that starts the install process, it prompts you to go and get it. ®

------------------

DocSilly members.bigfoot.com/~albern

I've had the same problem with Frontpage 2000 after installing SR-1. Frontpage closes as soon as I start it. Unistall office SR-1 and reinstall old office. Yeah Win 2k blows.

It has NOTHING to do with Windows 2000 but MS's anti piracy scheme. MS knows which serial #'s are in wide distribution and included a check for them. If they are detected then Office will be rendered inoperable. I know from first hand experience :-)

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 450@504

Soltek SL67B Mobo with 128 mb pc100

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Is there anyway to download the service pack with out doing the automated file.. which is like 500k I want to download it for a friend who is not on a fast connect? anyone help?