Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FrogMaster

Need help:cross-messing between W2K and Win98!

I have recently launched a repair of my W2k to restore the boot sector which for some reason was messed up (dual boot W2k/Win98).

After the repair, I discovered that Internet Explorer on the Win98 partition had been partially replaced by the version which comes with W2K!

When I check the version, it says it is a Windows 2000 version.

Dialing works and I can connect to my ISP but IE says that it is unable to display the requested page.

When I try to reinstall IE 5 for Win98, setup aborts and says it cannot install because a more recent version is already installed.

If I delete the folder where it sits, setup tells the same story.

When I try to uninstall this corrupted thing either through control panel or update, setup tells it cannot do because there no uninstall data available.

In an attempt to bypass IE, I installed Netscape but when it connects to my ISP, the browser displays an error message saying that "there are not enough system resource, cannot find a socket" or something like that.

All the settings for modem, TCPIP, etc. are correct on both sides.

I am left without Internet connection on my main machine, because it seems that messing with IE on the Win98 side has now corrupted back the copy on the W2K partition!

How can I uninstall IE or is there a way to force installation over a more recent version?

Has anybody already met cross-messing of applications between two OSes?

PS: W2k and Win98 sits on two different drives (C: and E smile.

Thanks for help!

------------------

Abit BP6 - QQb1 bios - 2*Celery@583 MHz - 192 MB Pc100 Ram - Seagate 6 GB - Seagate 4 GB - HPT66 IBM 20 GB Ultra 66 - Iomega // Zip100 - Toshiba DVD SD-M1212 - CDR Sony CDU 928E - HP Deskjet 815C - Philips Vesta Pro Webcam - NIC Realtek Fast - Elsa Erazor X2 GeForce 256 DDR - Sound card Yamaha Sax - USR 56K Faxmodem - Dual boot WIN2K RC3 "Free" and Win 98