Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LoRdSpawn

Command prompt

hello..

im using win2k @ the moment and i do not have any problems after all.

i have only 1 question, about win2k's command prompt. can't I maximize the window to full-screen format? cause in mysituation, only a part of the screen is command prompt (is it actually the equivalent of win98's MS-DOS prompt?) and i would like to run the command prompt in full screen!

i would be glad some o'you guys would gimme a solution..

thankx.

All you have to do is open the command prompt and hit alt+enter to get full screen and minimise do the same.

hmm..i guess i tried...

isn't this for win98?

are you sure the complete screen

is MSDOS-black?

If you hit alt+enter you get a full black screen comand prompt but it won't be msdos I might be wrong but I don't think they call it msdos Windows 2000 but it works the same. Also if you right mouse click on the top blue bar of the comand promt it will give you some window options !

I'm not sure - as far as I was aware there isn't "actually" MS-DOS in Windows 2000. The command prompt is kinda an emulated version of it for Windows 2000.

I dare say someone who knows what they're talking about will step forward smile - stead of me just relying on what I remember seeing somewhere.

Exorcist

If you go to the command promt window right click on the top blue window bar click propeties it do's state MSDOS "command prompt" propeties so I presume it must be MSDOS !

As you say someone who knows what they are talking about might step forward !

BADBOY

MS DOS in W2K and WinNT for that matter, is emulated.

To keep things simple, MS DOS runs above the Kernel mode. The HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) along with System Services run in the Kernel mode for W2K, and Applications run above this in a user mode. In the Winnt folder there is an app called cmd.exe. This is where W2K goes to run an MS DOS Prompt.

Anything that runs in the user mode is less privileged, as it doesn't have direct access to the hardware. This then prevents Apps crashing W2K out.

So, when you next try to run MS DOS Apps in W2K, and it crashes, but your system stays running, this is why.

But this causes problems. Some MS DOS Apps like control of your hardware. Called Realmode Drivers. CD-ROM Drives are sods for this. These Apps are sometimes called Pure DOS Apps, and getting them to run in W2K can be a problem.

But anyhow, drifted a bit there... As all the others have said. Press ALT and Enter for full screen MS DOS (Emulated..!!)

Also, make things quicker, on the start menu, at the run command, type in cmd.. Voila.!!

Mickbench