Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
brandonike

old video card

I think I have an integrated ati mach 64 on my old ibm aptiva 166 mhz.

Can I remove that and put it in my new computer? If not, then what video card do you recommend that's the cheapest and mostly 2-dimensional office stuff in x windows?

Hi brandonike, me again... wink

If it's integrated, I'm not sure, but I have an old ATI mach 64 PCI running on a "work station" under RH 9 right now! It's been a while, but I seem to recall I did have a few minor troubles with it. I think it was just a matter of running xf86config and telling it what screen resolutions I wanted. If you can budget for it, a good ol' Nvidia is always the best choice when running Linux in my opinion..

I can't believe the rate of techonological improvement. I'm cheap and I was hoping I could simply transfer my old system to a new one. but it seems all those high days of "200mhz pentium pro!" "4 mb video card graphics!! check out those 3-d movies" are left in the dust.

I've had pretty good luck building workable Linux workstations out of old computer parts. I have one I built for $51.00, which runs an old pentium "socket 8." The fan is pretty loud, but it runs great with a minimal install of Mandrake 9 with X windows. Give that ATI box a try, it might suprise you!