Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Andy_25

How to install Win98 under Win2K?

Hi,

This question has probably been answered before, but I couldn't find anything with the search.

I currently have Win2k Pro final installed on my c: drive. Now I would like to install Win98 on my d: drive (because I cannot use my scanner in Win2K frown ). But when I try to run the Win98 setup program under Win2k I get an error message "W98SETUP caused a General Protection Fault in module USER.EXE at 0001:679A". Anybody know what this means? Is it not possible to install Win98 from Win2K?

I tried booting with a Win98 start-up disk, and then running setup. But the scandisk in the beginning of the setup process finds errors on the C:\winnt directory, and if I choose not to fix the errors I cannot continue with the install. I've run scandisk in Win2k and it didn't find any errors, so I suspect it's the old scandisk in win98setup that incorrectly finds errors. (and I assume it's not a good idea to fix these "errors"?)

By the way, if / when I am finally able to install win98, will it replace any startup files on c: root? I mean will win2k still start normally? If it does, can just backup my c:\*.* and after installing win98, just copy them back? (for example by booting through a win98 boot disk)

Thanks!

Andy

I wonder if there is a switch to launch the Win98 setup that bypass the scandisk step. It seems to me there is one. I have not installed Win98 for a while now, but I remember something about that. Not sure.

Maybe you would give a try to SETUP/? to see if there is such an option???

Hi,

Great, thanks for the tips.

What about the other issue? Will the Win98 installation replace some files on c:\ root? (even if I install win98 on d smile And if it will, is it enough that I just take a backup of my c:\*.* and then copy the files back after win98 has finished installing? By the way, the pagefile (pagefile.sys) is also in c:\ , is is safe to delete that when in dos mode? I mean, will win2k just create a new pagefile once it starts?

Andy

Once you do install 98, it's gonna take over the MBR, so you'll have to run 2k setup again and select repair. Repair boot and startup settings (something along those lines) and you will have the correct boot menu.

As for pagefile.sys, leave it and just leave the other stuff on C:\ also. 98 will only put a few small files on C:. like autoexec.bat etc etc.

If you don't fancy doing the W2K repair, just edit the boot.ini file to include Windows 98 as an option.

Once in W2K goto a DOS session and type

attrib c:\boot.ini -r -s

Edit boot.ini and insert at the bottom

c:\=Microsoft Windows 98

Type - attrib c:\boot.ini +r +s

Reboot the machine and you will have Windows98 and W2K options

Or if your lucky, as Windows 98 is NT Boot Menu OK, it may even add the line for you.

If you find that Windows 98 has taken the boot menu away follow these steps:

Reboot the machine from W2K CD.

Peform a Repair.

Follow instructions.

The machine will then reboot into W2K again

Once in W2K goto a DOS session and type

attrib c:\boot.ini -r -s

Edit boot.ini and insert at the bottom

c:\=Microsoft Windows 98

Type - attrib c:\boot.ini +r +s

Reboot the machine and you will have Windows98 and W2K options

Does win98 allow you to select which partition you install it to? Or does it have to be the active partition?

Well, I installed win98 using a win98 bootdisk. It allowed me choose drive d: as the partition to install to (or rather enter a directory in which install to).

I was expecting that I will have to do some kind of tweaking, at least with the boot.ini, but to my great surprise the installation had automatically put win98 in the boot.ini! So, I didnt actually have to do anything; just install win98 on d: drive and that's it!

But I couldn't have done it without the setup /is /iq switch. smile

Thanks.

Andy

One thing, though: you should run chkdsk under Win2k. Open Explorer, then right click your C: drive and go to the "Tools" tab and click "Check now..."!

Because, if Win98's ScanDisk finds errors, I suppose there really ARE some!

You could also run Win98's ScanDisk, but I guess you're afraid that this could screw up your Win2k. This should not happen, but anyways.... smile

Good luck!

nova.

That's just the weird thing; win98 scandisk finds errors whereas the win2k scandisk doesnt (or at least it doesnt report any errors, so I'm assuming it didn't find any).

Anyhow the system seems to run fine now. I just wish my scanner manufacturer would write Win2k drivers so I could finally get rid of that Win98 partition altogether.

Andy