Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reaper_uk

What a 48 hours that was

Just thought i'd write in to tell you about my last 48 hours, its been hell.

ok, for a little while now i've been worried about my monitor because it seemed that my fairly new radio controlled logitech mouse was causing some kind of interference. and, i thought i remembered someone saying about if the monitor and mouse are at the same frequency this might cause my problem. (now i think it was a monitor and radio being at similar frequencies) anyway, for some reason i thought if i put the logitech mouseware v9 back on my system in the program would be the option to change the frequencey (i was actually thinking about the thing ps2rate does!) so, i start the installation it gets right near the end and next thing i know its rebooted the computer, normal i thought. but oooh no. From there normally ir would get stuck halfway during bootup, just after win2k restarts the machine (its has the win2k logo and built on NT technology with the little startup bar) normally it would just reboot itself also causing my keyboard not to responed next boot. sometime it would just hang i would need to reboot by switching the PSU on and off (becuase the power button wouldn't work), i tried it in safe mode, couldn't get into win2k rung mid boot, then i tried last known good config but that also just rung mid boot, i tried the debug option (haven't a clue what it does but hey..) that didn't work either, then i tried safe mode with command prompt, it works back into win2k, great i thought! i uninstalled the mouseware and removed the mouse from system manager and rebooted thinking that it would auto detect mouse as it was before and everything would be hunky dorey (great). but, no it just hung mid boot again, and again, and again, with the keyboard only working now and again i was getting very pissed off. i tried declocking my cpu, resetting bios, everything, but still no luck. so in the end i took out my hdd put in my brothers machine (which i just happened to have for the weekend, building it up for him) and backed up all my important work, well what i could squeeze on his 4.3gb from my 108gb. then i formatted my hdd partitions back to fat32, from his comp running win2k. Put the hdd back in mine used my win98 startup disk to get my cd-rom drive and proceeded to reinstall. everything seemed to be going fine until i got to the last part of installing when it was regestering my files and about to save them when i had some sort of kernel error message, so i rebooted in hope that it wouldn't happened again but what is this, my keyboard not working properly the computer hanging and just rebooting itself!! how i formatted the ****er! anyway, after another 3 or 4 formatts i decided to repartition the hdd and everything went to reinstall win2k, again right near the end when it was regestering my files and saving i get some kernel error machine reboots and starts rebooting its self. this was over saturday and sunday, when i came in from college today i swapped motherboard, took out all my cards except video, used different keyboard, repartitioned hdd again and formatted, installed win2k, and yeah it worked!!! put all my cards and everything back in still working, about bloody time.

Two days of almost throwing my computer out of the window all at Logitechs fault, bastards i'll bloody have them. i still don't know why just putting on the mouseware would **** up my comp like that. i mean i've been running win2k RC2 and then the final release since about november, and i think i've had 1 crash (that wasn't game incompatibility related)

Anyway, sorry my post was soooo long, but thought i'd tell someone.

MAn that's a tough weekend smile Mebe we should all get together adn write a novel of 2k horror stories and send it to MS. Think they'd notice??

I know what you have suffered.

I also spent a full week-end and almost two nights fighting with an installation. An update of aspi driver for the CD-burner completely messed my setup. I went through one full reinstall, one repair, one format and one reinstall just to discover that - you will not believe it - my parallel port was dead.

Yes, dead, I mean no more access, simply disappeared from the system, both under W2K and Win98! Seen by the bios at boot-up but dead. I put my box apart and on the following Monday I went to the retailer to swap the mother board for a new one. New assembly of the whole stuff, reinstall from scratch during a fair part of the night. Everything OK.

Noooooo! I installed latest Iomega software for the Zip drive. Again my system was screwed!

New format, aargh, new install, cross fingers... the box has been running now for one month rock-solid and I almost never run Win 98.

Thanks guys. It makes me feel better to have added my chapter to the W2k horror story!

------------------

Abit BP6 - QQb1 bios - 2*Celery@583 MHz - 192 MB Pc100 Ram - IDE1 Seagate 4 GB - IDE2 Seagate 6 GB - HPT66 IBM 20 GB Ultra 66 - Iomega // Zip100 - Toshiba DVD SD-M1212 - CDR Sony CDU 928E - HP Deskjet 815C - Philips Vesta Pro Webcam - NIC Realtek Fast - Elsa Erazor X2 GeForce 256 DDR - Sound card Yamaha Sax - USR 56K Faxmodem - Dual boot WIN2K RC3 "Free" (on IDE1) Win 98 (on HPT66)

ok. so i've checked my old motherboard justto make sure it was broken, and yeap it is. the keyboard won't work and it reboots mid boot. how could me putting the logitech driverson cause this to my motherboard??

Also, i got a motherboard quick of a mate, and it looks identical. same chipset, same bios, same markings on board (eg. all the info about clock settings and cpu voltage exactly same layout and jumper settings) but its made by a different manufactorer but whats weird is that fact the board won't let me clock my cpu to 500 (5*100).

well i say that but, it detects it as 500 in bios and in windows. in windows it seems pretty stable but as soon as i load up UT it just reboots the machine within about 2mins. Now i'm using exactly the same cooling as before i've tried it at 2.2v, 2.4v, and 2.8v (2.8v is what i had it running on old board) Could my crash have caused some kind of problem in the cpu??

it works flawless at 450(4.5*100) and 475 (5*95)

Has anybody ever heard about software able to destroy under certain conditions a hardware piece, or mess up a component on the motherboard? (see my // port story above)

Until now I thought that the only "software-destroyable" component was CRT display because of feeding it with out of specs refresh rates. I remember having killed a vga monitor a few years ago with the help of a super-vga video card driver.

------------------

Abit BP6 - QQb1 bios - 2*Celery@583 MHz - 192 MB Pc100 Ram - IDE1 Seagate 4 GB - IDE2 Seagate 6 GB - HPT66 IBM 20 GB Ultra 66 - Iomega // Zip100 - Toshiba DVD SD-M1212 - CDR Sony CDU 928E - HP Deskjet 815C - Philips Vesta Pro Webcam - NIC Realtek Fast - Elsa Erazor X2 GeForce 256 DDR - Sound card Yamaha Sax - USR 56K Faxmodem - Dual boot WIN2K RC3 "Free" (on IDE1) Win 98 (on HPT66)