Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
X-Stream

Diff. Win2000 2195 and "final release" ...

Can anyone tell me wich difference there are between the Windows 2000 BUILD 2195 and the really "final release" ???

Thanks !

2195 IS the final release. However one version of it is time-bombed, the other is not. There is also a version (which I have) that does not require a p/w when installing. However, they are ALL 2195. There is no mythical 2195.3 just 2195.1.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

I have an oem CD and it has options to install some extras like a tools and such that weren't on the pre-release 2195. The installation looked a little different. Those are the only differences I noticed.

The "ahem" non-time bombed versions don't include some misc files. Nothing necessary though. Some versions are also missing the Installation disk creation utility, but you can find that by doing an FTP search, or just check the newsgroups (probably mentioned here somewhere too).

------------------

---

The Flying Penguin smile

http://voodooextreme.com/flypenguin

Most of the "warezd" versions of W2K lack things like the "Support" and "Bootdisk" directories.

Any official CD will have these. Also, official pre-releases had these too, the they were/are available from the NT-Beta FTP site along with W2K itself.

The official, final shipped-by-MS CDs have an AutoPlay front-end that appears on none of the other available-from-MS versions.

There are several variations of the official, final, MS release - some do not require a CD key. These are genrally made available only to corporate desktop infrastructure groups.

Hey boneheads...your I.P. is logged. Good job telling on yourselves. I bought mine at Staples but still come here for tech stuff. You should watch what is said here....big brother is watching.....

so i take it you didnt have the answer but found a need to comment on something, maybe i should just call the computer store that i got mine from and ask them, probley get more help from them anyways

If you run the "WinVer" utility - Start, Run, "winver" - and there's a line below the copyright message that says

"120 day evaluation version"

then you have the 120 day evaluation version.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he picked up his newest copy from the store, He said it had a diffrent setup and if safe mode it didn't say free, Now he had the so cal final, and it said nothing about eval, but did say free in say, so whatz the deal?

Mine saying Free in safe mode & it is GENUINE CD with cool look H on it

I also have a genuine CD, and at the top of the Safe Mode Screen, it says "Free".

I was wondering about this for some time now. Does this mean I have some bogus cd? And the thread rolls on...

"free" does not mean "not final", "warez'd", "eval" - it means not "checked".

"checked" is the debug version - loads of symbols, and support for debug monitor.

"free" (iirc) means free of debug code.

I will admit this is based on my recollection of a MS document I read about 5 years ago, so the details may be a bit off, but the basic info is spot on.

Free is an OEM copy given out before the release to people such as retailers. Reason it says free is because the copy was free of cost. I received a copy January 16th that has the hologram and everything just says free because it was given out at a Microsoft training event.

Disregarding the "free" question and going back to the original one about the difference between the pre-Feb 17th 2195 build and the store-bought versions, it turns out there is actually a difference. Apparently after the original release of the 2195 build back in December a number of licensing issues arose in the video drivers included with Windows 2000. To keep from having to deal with this issue or pay any royalties Microsoft opted to remove them. Some were replaced with less than perfect alternatives and some were not replaced at all. For this reason a number of people have reported that after they install the store-bought Win2k, they're video stops working.

I haven't talked to anyone who this has happened to but I've seen posts about it on a few different BB's. Its kinda funny that the store-bought version is actually worse than the pre-Feb 17th version. Guess I'll be holding on to my old copy for a bit longer. Just an interesting bit of info I thought you might be interested in knowing..........