Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KalleAnka

Need cd burning program that supports filenames LONGER than

AFAIK, there are no defined standards for filenames that long on CD.

Nero 4.0.8.3 will allow paths longer than 255 chars, but these will be unreadable on some systems...

[This message has been edited by YuppieScum (edited 01 March 2000).]

Yes, the paths can be very long but the filename is still limited to 64 chars.

I used to use NTI CD-Maker Pro but I can't get it to work in 2000, gives me an error when it should start burning.. frown

What you are running into is the limitation of the Joliet file naming specification. Joliet is a CD naming convention that defines the longest file name to be 64 characters in length. The idea behind Joliet is that you can create a CD with long file names that can be read under multiple OSes - but primarily the Windows family.

It could be worse, you could be stuck with the ISO 9660 format (which was the previous CD naming convention spec) which only allows 8.3 names.

AFAIK, there are no plans on anyone board to create another CD naming convention spec for longer file names. If you check even the latest CD releases of software companies, you'll find that for the most part, they are still sticking to ISO 9660 format.

Regards...

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Sorry, misshap with the latest post...

I am well aware of the problem with Joliet. As we all know the ISO standard for names is anything but good, the Joliet is a bit better but still not good enough. That is why I asked for a program that could do better... Like the program from NTI, suppose I will have to fight a bit more with it to get it to run under 2000, if no one has any better ideas.