Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
allvtec21m

! mark next to my keyboard in device manager

when i go to device manager i have a ! symbole next to my keybard but it also shows onther keyboard with no ! sign the one with out the sign is MICROSOFT NATURAL KEYBOARD PRO the other one with the ! is STANDARD 101/102 KEY OR MICROSOFT NATURAL PS/2 KEYBOARD, TRYED UNINSTALLING ONE OR THE OTHER BUT THEY BOTH END UP REINSTALLING WHEN I RESTART

And the keyboard you have is..?

I so wanted my 500th post to be something other than asking a poster for more information about their problem...

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

[This message has been edited by YuppieScum (edited 29 February 2000).]

I acctually have the same problem (i think).

This is it:

I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, USB,

and in Device Manager I have the following under Keyboards:

"Microsoft USB Natural Keyboard"

and

"PC/AT PS/2 Keyboard (84-key)" with a "!" on it.

Though my Keyboard seems to be working just fine, I cant uninstall the PS/2 keyboard that win2k seems to think I have. It just keeps coming back, after reboots.

This happens because the OS sees the keyboard port as hardware, and so tries to fire up the driver.

But, because there's no keyboard there, the driver fails to start - hence the "!".

Basically the answer is "don't worry about it". You can flag the errant device "disabled" if you want, but as long as your actual keyboard works, then don't sweat it.

You need to plug in both the PS/2 and the USB in order for the ! to go away. Who knows why, that's what it said in the manual.

WHAT? the whole point to usb is cause its faster then the crapy isa bus, plugging both in will defeat the purpose

Hey, it doesn't matter as long as your keyboard actually works.

And if your hub catches fire, you can always plug in a regular keyboard.

Oh and...

whole point to usb is cause its faster then the crapy isa bus

is nonsense.

The point about USB is to provide a user- and hardware-friendly hi-speed interface for those external devices usually connected to serial or low-speed parallel ports - mice, modems, keyboards, scanners, etc.

The ISA bus was designed for internal devices, and was superceeded by the 16-bit ISA, EISA (32bit), MCA (IBM 32-bit), PCI, AGP (for graphics cards), and soon to be replaced by PCI-X or similar.

Oh, and I'm almost completely certain you don't type fast enough to use up 12Mb/s.