Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dlalexander

USB card reader

I'm a N.E.W.B.I.E., so please be gentle! smile I have a dual boot machine (WinXP & Fedora) and I'm trying to wean myself off XP. The problem I'm having is with a Dazzle 8-in-1 card reader. I have a CF card in it, and under the hardware browser it shows it as: /dev/sda (sda1, fat16 etc...).

How do I mount the device so I can read and write to it?? I tried "mkdir card", set it up with kedit in the /etc/fstab file, and created an icon on the desktop. It says "Could not mount device.

The reported error was:

mount: mount point /mnt/cfcard does not exist". What am I doing wrong??

Please H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm new at these readers as well. Just bought a jump drive and ran into some of the same issues.

First, could you post what the line in your fstab is for the reader?

I also notice that Fedora is using /mnt/cfcard at the mount point. If this is so, then try assuring that this is the mount point. So, make sure the mount point is /mnt/cfcard.

Try typing in a konsole mkdir /mnt/cfcard (a space between mkdir and /mnt/cfcard). Then see if it is recognized. The mount point should be placed in the /mnt directory.

The other thing is that multiple card readers are not well supported. So, if the cf card is the first port read on the card reader, you may be lucky.

I use a Dazzle SmartMedia Reader/Writer on Linux RH9.0 to transfer pics from my digital camera to my file server. I use a script to mount and unmount the Media Card Reader. It can also be done from a terminal command line as the script only contains the one line:

' mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/SmartMedia' (without the quotes, of course)

Note that the directory /mnt/SmartMedia must be created before this script or command line is executed.

Works fine. As a matter of fact, this Reader crashes my Win98SE box, even using their newest 'driver'.

Quote:
' mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/SmartMedia' (without the quotes, of course)

The above is a terminal command. You can get the system to mount removable drive systems. Look up 'automount' and/or 'supermount'. One or the other will mount the drive whenever a card is inserted. (This works on floppies and cdroms, so it may work on other removeable file systems.) The mount part should be in either mtab or fstab (root permissions only- edit if needed using su to become 'superuser' as temporary root...) 8)