Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
don_26

ICS & Win2k Server

Can anyone tell me how to setup and successfully configure win2k client machines to share the internet connection with the server. I have win2k server setup with the dhcp server running. The server has an ip address of 192.168.1.1, with a scope of 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.40, after win2k sharing is enabled it is assigned an ip address of 192.168.1.0 . The clients can no longer be seen over the network and I can't seem to figure how to get them to share the connection. Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated

In order for ICS to work on an Win2k machine, its ip must be 196.168.0.1

Thats it... no exceptions.

You are supposed to setup the clients to obtain ip address automatically. Setup the clients as if you were getting a dhcp address. Thats the way I have it and the way the help explains it. Although what spacey said would probobly work also so as long they can see eachother.

Nevermind I have mental problems. I think I will go shoot myself. Please do not respond to my reply instead just think to yourself "Oh hes just a retard".

Thanks for the help guys, but I realize that the IP address changes to 192.168.1.0 and I have also enabled the clients to obtain IP addresses automatrcally, that is not a problem, the problem is that as soon as the server takes on the new IP address the clients can no longer to seen over the network. do the client machines need to be restarted before they can be seen, or should they automatically be able to connect. I'll try it again later today

Hi Everyone,

does nobody know how to get ICS working or has nobody tried it as yet? I am still having problems connecting my client machines to share the internet connection from the server, any ideas!

------------------

Hmm have you tried just setting up a regular lan without ics? Like with netbeui or something? If that doesnt work it probobly isnt ics that is the problem. Also I always say this when I see a network related problem in win2k but here goes... Always make sure that your nics have the correct media types.. In other words dont leave it at default set it to 100basetx or 10basetx or whatever type you have for each the client and server. I myself speak from experience with this I was having trouble were the client would periodically disconnect and I would have to reboot the server. I no longer have this problem because I set both the client and the server nic to 100basetx. I have also read other cases on newsgroups where it didnt work at all. Try that hope it works.

Once you changed the server's IP, you would need to restart the client machines in order that they can receive the new IP address. It's my understanding that you changed the server's IP from 192.168.1.XX to 192.168.0.1. When you did that, you changed the IP subnet for the server - of course, it can't see the machines, and of course, those machines cannot see it any longer. It's not the IP address per se that's significant, it the IP address subnet change. If you had changed 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.10 - no problems... the IP address is on the same subnet. But a change from 192.168.1.whatever to 192.168.0.whatever is a complete change of the network. And since your machines are using DHCP for IP addresses and resolution, they're not just going to automatically find out their new IP address.

Bottom line: Give the client machines a restart with the correct IP setup for the Win2k server for ICS (my understanding 192.168.0.1), and everything should work. If not, then we'll look for other issues.

Regards...

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

ByronT,

Your safe man, I'll try what you said later today and let you know what happens, hopefully I'll get it to work.

------------------