Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarksmanX

I need NTFS format opinions :)

This is a silly question but I am going to format my primary drive to NTFS. Is there anything I should know about before making this plunge? The command I will do is Format C: /FS:NTFS /A:4096 Is this correct? Or do I need to add anything else with this command?

I don't know if this is the right topic, but I would think twice before chainging to NTFS. This is why:

1. My hard disks made a lot more sound than any of my friends, the only difference I could find was the file system they used fat32 and I NTFS. When I changed my to fat32 the sound level was cut in half.

2. The disk feels a lot faster, the keyword being feels here, I haven't done any benchmark's so I don't KNOW but.....

Anyone else made similar observations?

I haven't noticed any real difference in speed between NTFS and FAT32. I believe that command that you posted is correct, make sure you check by going to the command prompt and typing:

help format

Personally I'd stick with FAT32.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 07 February 2000).]

well let me ask you this do you need ntfs file properties such as folder permisions and compression and if so how much maybe just a small partition ntfs and then large fat32 area :0 best of both worlds

Wow I am shocked with the negative output for formatting FAT32 to NTFS. I heard from people who have NT servers that NTFS is best for NT. Faster performance in NTFS is what I usually hear. Am I mistaken to even tamper with my old FAT32? I am just doing it for NT only. But if there is no performances gain whatsoever then why bother right? smile I need more technical input though in the pros and cons smile

Dunno when I first installed win2k I had fat32 and I converted to ntfs with the command convert. My harddrive seemed to run like crap and was loud and slow. But since then I have installed win2k on a fresh ntfs partition and my hardrive is running real nice. Especially when its fully defragged. =P