Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eldad Balas

NTFS for windows 2000

I have a 20gig HD partitioned into a 15 and a 5 the 5 is an NTFS formatted under win2k how can i merge the 15 (which is a FAT32) with the 5 gig NTFS formatted under win2k partition?

Wow! I think there is noway you can do that. You have to remove the partion and then format it the whole drive in NTFS. Sorry frown

Is it possible to convert the Fat32 partition to NTFS and then use disk administrator to do the dynamic disk thing?

Ed

I am assuming we are talking about Windows 2000 smile No you cannot convert a FAT32 partition without losing the data that is already on the FAT32 partition drive. Backup you FAT32 data into one of you backup drives. Then format that partition to NTFS. Before you do this, tell me what you are trying to do? Are you planning to make all your partitions into NTFS? Remember once you go NTFS Windows 98 will not boot in a NTFS drive.

you can use 'convert32' or 'convert' to convert youzr fat32 partition to ntfs. i did it with 2 of my fat32 (win98) drives. no data lost. win2k was telling me it has to reboot, and within 5 mins it had converted 16gb nearly full fat32 drive.

Do you have the CD? Did you check that it is bootable so you can do a fresh install? First what you have to do it remove all the partions from your drive. Once that is gone FAT32 it just to be safe smile Then boot off the cd and let Windows 2000 format the drive to NTFS. It will do it automatically if you say " make my primary drive NTFS " or something like that.

GET ACCESS TO A PC WITH WINDOWS 98 AND INSTALL PARTITION MAGIC 5, THEN CREATE THE RESCUE FLOPPY DISK, GO BACK TO YOUR PC AND BOOT WITH THIS FLOPPYS AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS, YOU CAN MERGE YOUR FAT32 PARTITION INTO YOUR NTFS PARTITION WITH OUT LOSSING FILES...

AND THEN HIT THE CAPS LOCK KEY....

smile

That's better.

Morto.