Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Precision

DirectCD in Win2k

Okay, there seems to be some mixed feelings on whether or not this thing works. In the text below, someone mentioned a Win2k compatibility patch... I looked, and I swear I couldn't find one. I tried installing the update to DirectCD, but it said it was already up-to-date. However, it still has Win2k believing that the CD-RW is a read only device. The weird thing is, is that this only does this when trying to move files. I can save from programs just fine. Anyone know where I can dig up this patch, or can anyone ICQ it to me (3707431)?

Thanks!

"DirectCD runs on Windows 2000. You need to install first the latest ASPI32 driver from Adaptec, the compatibility patch for Win2000, Adaptec Easy-CD-Creator 3.5c and then DirectCD. After the restart you get a blue screen. To fix this select after the reboot "debug" and "last know good configuration"."

I too would like to know where to find that patch. This is the only thing left not working in my Win2k system. Thought I had DirectCD working (until I tried to erase some files using Windows Explorer) It gives me the same "read only media" crap.

JK

I am using DirectCD on my system, and it works great, i can do everything I'm supposed to. No problems what so ever smile.gif

DirectCD 2.5d (the one on ECDC Deluxe 4.0 disk)

win2k 2195.3

dysan crw-1622

abit bp6

dual celeron 366@550

128 mb ram

riva tnt

I was never a big fan of using Direct CD. I can run the version off the EZ CD 4 disk fine also. In my opinion EZ CD creator 3 isnt a very good burning program becuase I had the joy of having it burn about 20 coasters. I recommend using Fireburner or CDRwin

You miss their point, THC...

DirectCD allows you to treat a CDR or CDReWriteable as a disk - like a HD - (by allowing bit by bit CD burns). For CDRs, this isn't a great feature, but for those with CD ReWrite drives, this can be a pretty powerful tool.

And Adaptec does have a Direct CD upgrade for those of you with EZ CD4 at http://www.adaptec.com/support/files/dcd.html

Hope this helps...

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Does abCD by Prassi work like DirectCD with CD-RW's? I don't have the deluxe version of the software, so I can't upgrade to 3.0. I'm at the current version, have the ASPI drivers, just not any compatibility patch. Using a ZipCD drive, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks for the replies so far! Just wish it worked. frown.gif Difficult to back up MP3's without having to make a permanent copy.

There IS a w2k patch for DirectCD. The way to get things done is to install any version of directcd >= 2.5 (don't reboot) and replace the folders and files that comes with the patch, wich includes the 3.0 version. Seems to affect hibernation feature.

The file is in the net, If you're having problems with downloads contact mi ICQ.

I have Direct CD 3 ( which came with my Plextor) and don't work at all. I don't know how you guys are doing it, but adaptec says a version of DirectCD isn't out that supports WIn2K. Please tell me I'm wrong and how to fix it for sure. I can't get my burner to work since I can't afford to get EZ-CD Creator4 or the fact that DirectCD don't work

Lael - there is no official patch for win2k for directcd. Those that exist will make it work (2.5d works fine in win2k final) however, the result is that it screws up hibernation. It is usable if you don't mind that.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

Since we are on the subject of CD-R/RW Software. What works "out-of-the-box" for Win2k, that's good? I've heard that Nero, Fireburner, and CDRwin are all good. I do use CD Copier Deluxe and it's Great!

But I'd like to open the horizons a little, especially with Win2000. Thanks.

------------------

Th3 Jud1c4t0r