Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IdolWild

HELP! Win2K BIZARRO UNIVERSE!

Argh! All I did was log off from administrator and log back on under same and now, for some strange reason, all the folders in the administrator Documents and Settings folder look and behave like Start Menu folders. Same icon, they even all appear in the start menu, and all child folders are acting the same... What the *hell* is going on here??? Lucky me, I did happen to take a registry backup right before this happened (I exported it to the desktop as one file) - should I use this registry to restore from (and, um, how do you do that anyway?)...

- IdolWild

Can you check the values of the registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Start Menu

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Start Menu

Dave

[This message has been edited by David McCabe (edited 25 January 2000).]

OK I was in rooting around in the registry this morning and found those keys as well and knew it must have something to do with my accident, but I wasn't sure if I should delete the keys entirely or just alter them in some way.

In HKCU all the folders in my admin folder are listed as strings, with appropriate names and paths to the actual folders.

In HKLM it seems I just have a bunch of 'common' stuff - admin tools, appdata, desktop, docs, progs, start menu, startup, templates, and personal. All are listed as strings with paths.

So what should I delete/modify to fix this mess?

Thanks for your help...

- IdolWild

I don't think you can edit them directly, because they are cached by Explorer, if I remember correctly.

You will need TweakUI. There are various versions of this: the one you want is www.betabites.com/downloads/tweakui2k.zip. Expand it, right-click on the .INF file and select Install. TweakUI will appear in your Control Panel.

Go to the General tab and check the settings for Start Menu and Programs. If they are incorrect, change them back...