Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Noodlez

MS CD Player

Say, I am having a tad bit of trouble with the MS CD player that comes with w2k, When it tryes to get the CD info it says my check my net settings and try agian. Well my net setting are fine as far as I know, I mean I am here typeing so.. anyway i am useing a dailup on a 56k =( if that matters any..

The MS CD player is somewhat of a pain. You see Microsoft, in all of its infinite wisdom decided not to sign onto the CDDB developers pact [something to do with the fact that CDDB was not implicitly recommending SQL server for the CDDB database.] So Microsoft uses two independent CD information databases to give you the CD information. The only problem is that there are so many incorrect entries in the database of the two SQL server databases that Microsoft's CD player information is worthless - maybe more than worthless since it will give you the incorrect information.

IMHO, I would recommend any of a number of true "CDDB" capable players - many of which are known to work with Windows 2000. I currently use Real Jukebox and have no complaints. For others, just visit http://www.cddb.org/winplayer.html

Regards...

I use a CD player called CD valet its super small and fits in the tray menu and you can access all it funcionts just by clicking it. Plus it has submit support.

Yeah, I used to use CDValet, and I emailed back and forth with Greg Leichner - the guy who wrote CDValet. But CDValet seemed to have some problems when I started adding CDRom drives (I'm up to 3 now.)

I switched a few months ago to CDMax by Clark Tisdale. However, his program is having some problems with the CDDB functions (it dies ugly right now...) Hopefully, Clark will get his to work soon.

But for now, I use RealJukebox mainly because it works with my Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro setup... them nice little CD control buttons.... smile