Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raze2k

Sharing Files and Folder Help

I'm running Win2k 2195 on a laptop that's usually connected to a network at school. I'd like to put some files up on the network (and most people are too computer illiterate to use FTP) so I need to share folders; the problem? Everytime I share a folder and someone on the network tried to open it, they receive a password request. This is regardless of whether I set a password or not (and my admin pass doesn't work). What I did notice is that the password request dialog box makes a reference to $IPC, one of the special shared folders used for networking. I assume that I have to edit the user permissions when I share a folder, so can anyone tell me which to edit (if I want to give authorized access to other people on the network.. oh and it functions as a workgroup, not a domain).

Any help would be much appreciated.

You need to create a user on the win2k system that is the same as the user that the schools computer uses when the see the "enter network password" box after boot up. The password that is used when creating the user is the same as the box that pops up when trying to access the shared directory.

Is there anyway to do this on a more global basis so that everyone could enter anonymously, or using the same password for their login name (whatever they choose)?

Yes but enabling guest on a system isnt exactly the safest thing to do on a network. Other than what SHS said there isnt any other way to get it to do what you would like without setting logins and passwords

I'm not at my Win2k box right now, so I might be mistaken here, but when you create a share, can't you choose which users have access to it, I believe one of the options is Anonymous Logon, hope this helps

Lenny