Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Galldune

regedit hmm...

well i just installed windows98 on top of win2k so now its duel boot but theres like a clean reg in windows98 with nothing in there that use to be there is there any wany i can import windows2000's reg to windows98's

im using build 2195

Strange. I would'nt try loading the win2000 reg over windoze98. what you could try is copying the user.dat file smile.gif

First a question: Why would you want to use W2K's registry in W98?

After you answer that, let me tell you why you don't want to do that. Although similar in outline form, Windows 98 and Windows 2000 registry are not close enough for just a copy or an import. The only way that even Microsoft thinks about both at the same time is when upgrading W98 to W2K and then only the application information is pulled over. Almost all other items in the registries are quite unique and you certainly don't want to mix them.

By messing with the registry - you can easily render a Windows 98 machine unbootable. By messing with the registry of Win2K, you can render it a paperweight.

All that said, I "mess" around with the registry fairly often - but I've had over three years of experience doing it, and I recognize the dangers of having an unbootable machine.

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Lol! He said to copy the user.dat file over with a smiley face! smile.gif Hehe thats funny.

What jerry should have said was copy the "screwmyOStosh*t.dat" over. If you ever need a better tip on how to totally f**k your win98 I have not seen better. =)