Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5t3ph3n

auto shutdown?

hi there! is there a way i can auto-shutdown my ATX computer with win2kpro final with no need to turn off the switch? thanks in advance smile.gif

motherboard: ABIT BH-6 / P2-350

just found something; i disabled(!) the ACPI setting in BIOS and now i can auto-shutdown. seems very strang though! the thing is that i still cannot put my computer in Hibernation mode. any ideas?

[ABIT BH-6 BIOS: FU, WIN2K PRO]

I have BP6 board and WIn2kpro doesn't shutdown the computer with or without ACPI frown.gif

any idias?

Both BP6 & BH6 don't support real ACPI.

You need turn on APM for Shut Down to work

it in the Control Panel | Power Options go to the Tab APM check the box all done.

SHS, could you be more specific when you say that the "BP6 & BH6 don't support real ACPI?"

The reason that I ask is that I am interested in replacing my Tyan S1856 mthrbd with Celeron 466 OC'd to 525MHz with a dual CPU setup. But I have full ACPI support with this Tyan - meaning zero configuration problems to this point.

What is "real" ACPI and how do the ABit boards differ in their ACPI setup (Abit's website say that both boards are "ACPI compliant"?

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

That eazy I turn on before setup Windows98 & Windows2000 but it dosen't see it.

So it not real "ACPI compliant board" like abit is saying.

Beside it a waste of IRQ any way.

I have BH6 with celeron 300a@450a with 256meg ram & the last time I was in Abit news group that all they ***** about BH6 & BP6 not work with ACPI

so who are you going belive abit or other user that owen one ?.

I'm not doubting you, SHS. I was just trying to figure out why Abit calls the board ACPI compliant and it's (obviously) not.

Truthfully, the Power Management stuff of ACPI doesn't light my fire... I leave this machine on 24 hours a day x 365 days a year - with no screen saver BS, no powering down stuff. But I have found the auto configuration to be nice (as opposed to the Plug and Pray that I've had to deal with for 4 years....)

Is it possible that Abit is a 1.1 ACPI compliant board and Win2K is looking for a 1.X compliant or later board for the Hibernate and other ACPI stuff?

Hmmm... I just had another thought. On my Tyan board, I had to change another item in the BIOS for the ACPI to start working... I had to enable the "ACPI Control Register" in the Tyan BIOS.

Oh well.. I'm checking out the ACPI spec at http://www.teleport.com/~acpi/acpihtml/home.htm to try to find out...

Edited info below...

PS. I checked my Power Options in the Control Panel, and I _don't_ have APM enabled... yet I am able to shutdown and the computer turns itself off. So why does my machine turn itself off after a shutdown when APM is not enabled in Win2K?!?!

[This message has been edited by ByronT (edited 06 January 2000).]

I just checked my "power" pannel and didn't find any APM Tab frown.gif is it hiding somewhere?

(win2k build 2195)

with all the respect SHS, i am 99% sure that even after i checked the APM box my comp still didn't auto shut-down; but when i disabled(!!) the ACPI in BIOS-->voila! all done! anyway something from Abit's BIOS revisions that may help users (http://www.abit.com.tw/english/download/bios-bh6.htm); in rev. GY they disable ACPI by default; in rev. HN the "Solves the problem of Windows98 not being able to shut-down properly when the ACPI function is enabled.

"; in my FU: "Supports ACPI function"; So i believe that if i play with my Abit's biossettings i could get Hybernation like i got auto-shutdown;but i don't want to experiment with BIOS settings or updates. wink.gif(maybe then and after clean install hybernation?) sorry for the long post!