Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acer_macrophyllum

Internet connection problems

Hey everyone!

Not sure this is the right forum, but anyway...

I've been having a problem getting a reliable internet connection with my Archtek 5634BTV having a TI chipset. When I get a connection, it usually lasts for a few minutes and then my throughput stops, but when I lift the receiver, I still hear the modem noise. It seems that I usually get a connection that works like this, but then sometimes I can't get any connection at all. I'm currently having this problem using Redhat 9, but I've had exactly the same problem with Debian and FreeBSD. I'm pretty sure it's not a PPP configuration problem or an ISP problem because my brother gets a connection just fine with the same distrobution, the same setup, and the same ISP. Any help you can give will definitely be appreciated, and if you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks!

KPPP way

If you use kppp to dial in then you might try setting the all of the slide adjusters relating to delays and timing to the left most forcing the modem to act a little snappier. The sliders are in the configuration settings area of kppp. I too have had the same problem but it only happened every hour, I would connect, surf, do anything for exactly 60 minutes and bam! no data would transfer, upload or download.

NON-KPPP way

If you do not use kppp then try to find the (no joke!) STUPID MODE setting on the modem, it causes the modem to ignore certain messages sent by your isp that may cause it to stop.