Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rmeek

Win2000 RC2 2128 sudden problem

No problems for many weeks until suddenly OutLook Express, which I use as a newsreader will not start! The splash screen show, but nothing else and it doesn't show in taskMan, however to get rid of splash I must reboot and at that time, Windows asks me if I want to close OutLook Express down!?! Any help appreaciated. I need to access newsgroups for professional reasons!

It sound like you uninstall something that may have remove imagehlp.dll.

make sure there winnt\system32\imagehlp.dll

That dll is where it's supposed to be. Something I just found out is that though it doesn't show in taskman, it does show as a running process using 100% cpu. Stopping the process gets rid of splash scrren abd cpu down to 1%. I re-installed Win2000 with no luck and cannot find anyway to re-install outlook express or repair. There must be some way to fix this! If not is there a good/free 3rd party replacement?

You should try to rename your mail-directory which is usually in

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Identities\{81E3E29E-9AFA-4FB2-8F0B-B077F7FD7CDF}\Outlook Express

If OE starts after that without any problems then your mail-dir is corrupt. It's a standard-problem under winnt 4.0 with an avm isdn-controller. exactly the same behaviour.

Hope it helps you.

I'm not sure what I should rename...the directory "OutLook Express" ? I tried renameing it to "OutLook Express12" but that did no good. BTW, the only place I found the entire structure as you wrote it was under my user name. Under Administrator, which I always log on as, it only goes down as far as the directory with the long number. It contains no further directories or files. Under my user name however it listed all my usual haunts. Did I screw up somewhere? Thanx so much for your hwelp!