Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JKstang

Question about W2k Version.

I remember reading quite awhile back that someone wanted to know how to remove the Windows evaluation and Version info from the desktop. I would like to know how this could be done, I searched through the messages but could not find the post. Any info on how to remove it would be helpful.

Also, everytime I open Windows Explorer it defaults to opening "My Documents". How can I go about setting the default back to "My Computer" as it was in Win98? (I know stupid questions, probably something simple I overlooked)

Thanks in advance!

Actually those are excellent questions. It's the small things that make the difference. I myself wouldn't mind knowing either. wink.gif

Hi guys,

I found out a little trick: You only have to activate "Show contens on active desktop" or so in the "Web"-register in the Graphics-Tab. Thats all. Now, when loading of personal settings on startup is finished, the Build-number and evaluation remark disapear.

Have phun!!!

Yes! It works great! Now if only I could solve the Windows Explorer quirk, Win2k would be....well no not perfect....far from it actually.... but good enough for me! Time to break out the chainsaw and start hacking away at the registry.

Finally figured out how to get Windows Explorer to open to My Computer's C: Drive. smile.gif

In the WINNT directory, there are two explorers listed. One is an .exe(computer icon) and the other is a .scf(folder and magnifying glass icon). If you change the property to target the explorer.scf. It will open to the C: drive instead of My Documents.

I knew it would be something simple! smile.gif

How are you starting Windows Explorer? If you're talking about the one found in the Start Button. It's even easier to change where it starts up...

Simply click on the Start Button, choose Programs, Accessories, and then RIGHT-CLICK on Windows Explorer. Click on Properties. In the Target: entry area, click at the end of the text that should read %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe. Add a space and then the path of where you want the explorer to open to. Note: This will actually turn the explorer into the Open command. (I've forgotten the registry settings and the command line switch to force explore mode.)

But truthfully, you can use some keyboard shortcuts just as quickly.... Windows key+E = explore My Computer. or Windows key+R brings up the Run window, where you can just type the path you need (C:\Program Files, D:\, etc...)

Regards...

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Try this:

EXPLORER.EXE /e,D:\

(or whatever drive or path you want!)

"/e" stands for "explore", so you get an explorer view, not the standard folder view without the folder list at the left part of the window.

You can also use:

EXPLORER.EXE /e,/root,D:\

then it will use D:\ as the window's root, so you can't get any higher than that! smile.gif

nova.

AHA! Woo, what wonderful posts... I was wondering about that stuff...but I thought I was a fruit and didn't know what was going on...excellent! smile.gif

Something tells me that I probably should learn a little bit more about the Windows registry. I don't know crap about it... The stuff you guys were just talking about is so greek to me that I think I am going blind..

Good lord, some of u guys are Ex-9X users arent u? I cant belive u enabled "active desktop". I hate being rude and condescneding, but main that is just not cool, u might as well install norton system works so it can integrate itself in ur whole system and crash it...

active desktop is a horrible thing to do, it gobbles up ram and uses excess cpu cycles for absolutely nothing... Im sure some u guys love it and think its the coolest thing, BUT any comptuer freak/geek such as myself will never let u live it down smile.gif

oops my bad, I thought u were gonna actually use it for web pages.. sorry. its still not good but better then using to actually view pages.......

Yeah, I was using it (ADT) back when I still used RC2. But, it only kicks in when Win2k loads the personalized settings. And the amount of system resources it uses to make the version info disappear just isn't worth it to me anymore. It'll go away on it's on in couple of months anyway (when I upgrade to the final code). smile.gif