Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LoRDZiM

MDK 9.2 GUI Help

Don't get me wrong, I like CLI as much as the next guy, but i can't get any GUI interface to start.

i know i set X to start when i was installing, and the startx command didn't work.

and i've read where changing the "runlevel" will fix it, but how does one go about doing that?

just some little questions from a linux noob.

During install, when configuring my system, i setup my graphics card resolution and display, but when i hit test it says an error has occurred. Sooooooooo i try every different setting that i can and i still cannot get it to test successfully.

Any ideas? i have the latest driver from ATI for my 9600Pro on a CD, but how would i go about installing it from a CLI?

Unless your cd says it has Linux drivers, you can't install Windows drivers to Linux. It's like trying to put a Hugo manifold on a Hummer engine.. wink

I'm going from memory here since I no longer use Mdk, but first try running Xfdrake as root and choose the 3. something "drivers" rather than the 4. something. I got my ATI working that way. If that doesn't do it, try running xf86config from a terminal as root. The questions are pretty straight forward, and it'll give you a chance to choose your card and resolutions.

Good luck!

Quote:
i know i set X to start when i was installing, and the startx command didn't work.

and i've read where changing the "runlevel" will fix it, but how does one go about doing that?

As long as startx doesn't work, don't bother changing the runlevel. What happens if you startx? Do you get any error messages, and if so, what are they?

When i try startx, the screen goes black for a sec and then i get this page:

XFree86 Version 4.3.0

Release Date: 9 May 2003

WW : RADEON: No matching device section for instance (BusID PCI: 3:0:1) Found

EE : No Devices Detected

X10: Fatal I0 Error 104 Connection reset by peer on X server ":0.0"

heres my system

AMD XP 2500 @2.2GHz

Shuttle SN45G

512MB DDR

ATI 9600 Pro

80GB Western Digital

OSes:

WinXP Pro on C:

MDK 9.2 on (uh the rest of the HD)

Boot Loader:

Lilo

Quote:
Unless your cd says it has Linux drivers, you can't install Windows drivers to Linux. It's like trying to put a Hugo manifold on a Hummer engine.. wink

I'm going from memory here since I no longer use Mdk, but first try running Xfdrake as root and choose the 3. something "drivers" rather than the 4. something. I got my ATI working that way. If that doesn't do it, try running xf86config from a terminal as root. The questions are pretty straight forward, and it'll give you a chance to choose your card and resolutions.

Good luck!

lol well duh, i burned the CD with linux drivers from ATI.com

Quote:
"Drivers" are used with Windows. Linux uses Modules.

ok fine "modules" but you know what i'm talking about right?