Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
celsiuS

Counter-Strike on SuSE Linux 8.1???

Hi all,

i get SuSE 8.1 last Saturday. It's the 1st i use Linux and i am nuB. So plz don't laugh about questions... smile

Ok, i tried to start my favorite Game Counter-Strike (US Retrail) on my new system. But it still doesnt work. Wine, wineX etc...all these take no effect.

Can u give me some hints???

thx to all

cel

PS.: sry for my english, but i am german and school iss long long ago smile

okay is it a windows version or linux version? i was wondering the same thing but mine like 6.0 or somthing :P

Hi Celsius,

yes Counterstrike works on Linux, using WineX. I tried it myself, so im sure about that, however you will NOT be able to play online (Internet) games, because Valve's anticheat does not work properly yet on Linux...therefore you will be thrown out of the game, and possibly banned as a cheater smile

Valve and Transgaming, Inc. are working on a solution that will most likely be implemented in future WineX releases.

Other games that work (with WineX), tested by me, are:

Soldier of Fortune 2

Quake 3

RTCW

The trick is to either run the game executable from a Windows partition (game already installed in Windows), or run the setup.exe from the game CD and install it on the virtual Windows drive that WineX creates.

Have you tried running Q3 in native Linux mode? It runs at least as fast as it did in Windows, so you'll probably like it a lot better.

To me, it doesn't make any sense to use wine or another windows virtual os. They're slow and generally it's a bitch to get things working. Just play q3a or ut2003 on your linux boxen. They run natively and quite well might I add.

good luck

manifest

Yea true, i forgt to recommend the native Linux clients...got carried away thinking about the whole Counterstrike stuff.

Is it true that the PC-CD boxed version of UT2003 includes a Linux client?

If you use Wine with the opengl functionality you can play Counter Strike online with out a problem. WineX gives back to Wine but they apparently dont take from it. I've played original half-life, CS and Day of Defeat under Wine(GL version) and had no issues.

http://wine.dataparty.no/

grab the latest gl build.

I have the latest RPMs of WineX 3.01 and Point2Play 1.01 and I play online using Opposing force and latest patches 1101 I think it is.

Quote:
Have you tried running Q3 in native Linux mode? It runs at least as fast as it did in Windows, so you'll probably like it a lot better

clutch

Quake3 Urban terror is said to blow away counter strike dont know cos i've never even seen counter strike!
But UrbanTerror ROCKS!

Quote:
Quote:
Have you tried running Q3 in native Linux mode? It runs at least as fast as it did in Windows, so you'll probably like it a lot better

clutch

Quake3 Urban terror is said to blow away counter strike dont know cos i've never even seen counter strike!
But UrbanTerror ROCKS!

Yes I have to agree. That is why I made an installer for it. You still have to have the retail (linux) version installed and patched to 1.32b for UT to play online.