Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M

win2k ftp server

Anyone here had any luck with the IIS 5 ftp server in win2k.

I can get people to log in, but the it won't list the contents of the directory for them.

Any help would be mucho appreciated!

hmmm, i've tried it in earlier builds but was hard to get used to .. i like my servU ftp.. It seems that you have to configure it like if you were adding users for your computer.. i don't know exactly but that's the way i managed to do it..

I hope you can get it right..

cuz it's suppose to be a darn good ftp server.. ;-)

g00duck

DOlce

M: have you figured out the firewall in win2k.. Been trying to set it up in win2k..

ARRGH...

Well, I'll get it soon..

I HOPE

I seriously hope that nobody uses Serv-u (no serv-u bashing here, this is serious) for anything they want to run stable and fast. Serv-u has one of the lowest uptime numbers I've seen, this is because it's so full of buffer-overflows and memoryleaks, not to mention the logging (more the lack of), and user database. Everybody who wants to run their own server, i recommend that you check out warftpd from JGAA's freeware (yes it's freeware, and the best server out for win32). Get it free at www.jgaa.com, and talk to me if you have trouble...

--

cyb97 / cyb97@noxtension.com

Core Member of noXtension

Don't know what your issue with serv-u is but it has NEVER crashed on me in win2k nor has it ever had a problem of any kind and it logs everything just fine. Not to mention the fact that it's ease of use and setup is by far more superior than WarFTP. Granted WarFTP is truely kick ass but when it takes me longer to learn the layout and functionality of a FTP server than it takes for me to completely setup servu then there is a problem. WarFTP is jsut too confusing and I know a thing or two about setting up an FTP.

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 29 November 1999).]

Well,

I couldn't agree with Zeldzar more..

I back up what he says..

---It's All good Zeldzar!-----

HAHAHA!!!!! G6 FTP server. HAHA! Sorry, I used G6 once and yes it has lots of features and is really easy to setup. Hopwever I had to constantly reisntall it cause the damn thign was so buggy it wasn't funny. Not only that, even though I had given myself permissions in my account to access mny other drives it woudn't let me. However perhaps those issues have been fixed.

First of all, IIS 5's ftp in win2k rocks, it's very cool.

Back to the old Firewall issue, I'm currently using syshield and it's very cool, the only problem is, If I open up port 21 on the firewall, my ftp server still won't list contents....hmmmm

it only works when I shut the wall down, more investigation is needed.....

could be a bug in syshield.. i'd once tried syshield.. but it had no options that i was quite comfortable with.. Trying using @guard2.2.. it works very good for me. loaded with options and very simple to use.

Don't know what your issue with serv-u is but it has NEVER crashed on me in win2k nor has it ever had a problem of any kind and it logs everything just fine. Not to mention the fact that it's ease of use and setup is by far more superior than WarFTP. Granted WarFTP is truely kick ass but when it takes me longer to learn the layout and functionality of a FTP server than it takes for me to completely setup servu then there is a problem. WarFTP is jsut too confusing and I know a thing or two about setting up an FTP.

I can agree on the fact that WarFTP is a little harder to learn, but it's not that hard people.

Serv-u won't handle logins with a username longer than 128*3(I think it was that little) that would make the server crash, ie the logging system would go down with it.

WarFTP can log to diffrent ODBC datasources, SQL and DAO. And you can remote administer it, which is the best functionallity with WarFTP, it's so easy administrated...

Let me give you a scenario (I've tried this myself) where Serv-u wouldn't work much at all... Computer-party... 4500~5000 clients, all switched 10MBit with a shared 25Mbit ATM to the internet, we sat up an ftpserver on a dual 333MHz pentium-II, 384MB ECC WinNT (3com card) all SCSI-Server... This thing served constantly for 5 days w/o reboot (and that's good to be NT Server). The thing served at about 96% of theoretical linespeed. WarFTP served the masses with about 5-6% cpuload (with constantly people logging in and out via both shared public and private accounts). We couldn't compile stats out of the textlogfiles because they we're constantly written to, so we had to use SQL... The best thing was that we was even able to burn cds while serving... (the hdd activity lights flickered like strobes)...

Can anybody tell me another daemon that will do this...

Does anyone here need another deamon to do this is the question. Dude most of us are just running a simple FTP on our home boxes. I don't need that kinda power. I stated that warFTP is superior however all we(I) need is a simple program that handles a max of 5(or more, not 5000) users. I can remote admin it through remotely anywhere.

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 03 December 1999).]

I use warFTP when i'm in 98, but I like IIS for win2k ... seems to have enough options, and it runs well ... faster than warftp in 98 at least ...