Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Siluan

Firewall

i´m using W2k and i´m badly looking for a firewall.

Read about a built in Fw, but can´t see something like this. I can block ports in the Network (card) settings.

I was very happy with Conseal, but unfortunatly it doesn´t run under W2k.

Any idea much appreciated

hemp

Well, i'm looking for some kind of guide as to how one should set up Win2k's built in firewall, it's pretty daunting to say the least.

A firewall is hard to set up and it needs constant finetuning.

It might be better to go with a commercial solution.

One program that seems to be nice is BlackICE Defender from http://www.networkice.com/ .

It silently monitors TCP and UDP ports to a level you choose, it'll detect intrusion attempts and record the IP from the Intruder.

It's also fairly cheap at $39. But better check with them if it runs under Win2k.

I might be looking into this one sometime soon.

There are other firewall solutions, try to find one that can be easily updated on a regular base ... I think that managing a firewall is one of the hardest jobs for a network admin.

------------------

DocSilly members.bigfoot.com/~albern

[This message has been edited by DocSilly (edited 28 November 1999).]

It doesn't work, you get some kind of weird error about the filter not being able to start, and if you look at their forums, it seems like they're overwhelmed at the moment.

People don't like it when they can't get support...

Syshield works nicely, but I find it messes up the built in ICS, anyone have any suggestions?

When you run the firewall, the other computers on my network can't get to the net.

Like I said before, try ATGuard. It has an interactive learning option that will prompt you everytime you make a new connectino on a port with an application that hasn't got a firewall rule yet. For example. I install Atguard and then I open IE it will Pop up a screen saying Iexplorer.exe is trying to make an outbound tcp connection on port 80 to *.*.*.* address. At this point you can then walk though a wizard that will allow you to configure it to let Iexplorer connect on port 80 all the time to any address or you can block it.....or permit it jsut the one time. Now this will happen with all progies that use the internet till it has learned and created rules for them. You can also password protect it. It will remove add banners, you can view stats, and customize your rules that you have and it works perfectly in win2k. None of that configure-test-reconfigure-test-configureagain to see if yougot it right. This program learns for you, then you tweak later. It does the same for all incoming tcp and ip connections. Doesn't that sound nice? =)

I've tried black Ice Defender and it's pretty good at locating the ip and information.. but i realize that the program is a little slow.. what i mean is that the intrusion is already in and when you know .. it's too late... it's good at telling you the info.. it supplies you with good info.. but like i said .. it's too late when your machine gets it..

now with @guard.. it's a big new too me. but still a very useful program and has alot of features that are quite easy to understand..

i would recommend the @quard..

for it is very powerful..

all i can say is.. try them out..

you can only know which one is better by trying it out.. and know which one is suited for you ... some ppl might need a huge shield and some might just need a little dinky prog..

;-)