Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
janko10

Unreal Tournament and nothin but GPF's, please help

I've applied all the UT updates, tried every nividia set of driver's i could

find, all the W2K updates, ran it in software renderer, d3d, opengl. Played in

my bios, played with the memory, no overclocking, played in the registry, scoured

the geforefaq.com and tried all that. No matter what i do, the game just crash

to a GPF on the desktop. Sometimes i can play it for like 5min, then wham. When

i load the game, makes it thru city intro 50%, the other 50% wham, crash. When i

load it up and click on the preferences menu, the menu starts to flicker, faster

and faster, then wham, GPF. I'm completely out of options guys and any help

anyone can provide would be so greatly appreciated. Here's my sys info:

PIII 1.0Ghz (no o'clocking)

SuperMicro PIIISCD (I820 mobo, latest bios)

192mb Crucial pc100 ram (no o'clocking)

Herc 3d Prophet ddr-dvi Gforce1 32mb, all driver's tried, agp4x in bios

2 maxtor 40gig's ata 66

generic dvd

creative cdrw 8/4/32x

400 watt psu

3com 905b-tx nic

philips acoustic edge soundcard

that's all i've got in there, assume i've updated all system devices/apps/2k

patches and drivers to the latest ones. Thanks in advance for any help anyone

can provide--- I miss my UT and fear going back to Me/98.

thanks again,

J

hmm seems like you covered most bases there, nice work :-) first id like to suggest switching games to q3 :-)

ut is very sensible to ram paging faults, i had mine overclocked and it failed. now you say you havent oc`d but maybe your ram doesnt feel well anyway?

You have an i820 chipset with SDRAM. Oooh, thats not good. From what I understand, the Memory Translator Hub,MTH, is supposed to allow SDRAM in place of RDRAM. Unfortunately, this did not work out at all.

It was one of Intel's embarassments last year, along with the P3 1.13GHz bust.

Anyway, get ahold of SuperMicro and see if they will send you a replacement board with RDRAM for free. If not get another mobo. I to tell you that, but unfortunately, the only other option is to buy RDRAM, which is ungodly expensive and has very little speed increase over SDRAM.

Once again, the problem is with the MTH of the i820 chipset, and while other things may be bad, that board needs to be replaced or you need to get RDRAM.

Brian is right, ive heard about this too. But before you do that...i have a simple suggestion you should DEFINATELY try first.

Reinstall the game. smile

hey thanks guys. I know about the 820 and just never got around to RMA'ing my mobo (i guess it's cause i never had any problems with it while i was using 98/Me) I'm looking at getting the new iwill dvd266-r which is apollo pro 266 and ddr and PRAYING that will help. HarU, don't worry man, I've reinstalled so many times i should apply for a Univerity Site License. As for Q3, i haven't tried that yet, but i have been playing Gore Multiplayer Test and that seems to run fine for about 2 levels, then that crashes to the desktop with another error message (not GPF though, i can't remember which). I'm also getting some tearing and blinking polygons in the games, which keeps telling me it's drivers, drivers, drivers. But man, I've tried them all- 11.01's, 10.80's, the whql certified 7.58's, and a slew more with all the same effect. Every bus/system speed it at factory default, my agp aperture is 128mb, played with that, nothin. I'm about to give up and just dual boot with Me. I guess if you can't beat'em, join em.

thanks again,

J

Got SP1 and DX8?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I dont recommend to my customers anything other than ABIT or ASUS boards. I would wait until some better DDR chipsets come out too.

yeah, i've got sp1 and dx8.0a, everything that can be patched, updated, downloaded has been. The new intel ultra ata driver that just came out is the latest thing i've added. ThC129, i agree with you, but if i keep waiting for a better ddr board, they'll have qdr by then or the new rambus that's runnin on a 1ghz + bus will probably boast better performance.

J

If you want a board to hold you over, get a Tyan Trinity 400. It is terrible for overclocking, but it is very stable. Also, it does use the Via Apollo Pro 133A chipset, so if you h.ate Via...

Its easy to set up and the manual is good too, although Asus does have a slightly better manual in comparison.

The board runs $100-$115 USD around here.

And as for drivers the latest beta 12.00 Dets are out for all versions of Windows. They're a tad faster than the 11.01s.

Also, Win2k is MUCH more hardware sensative than 98 or ME. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. I consider it a good thing, especially when it comes to overclocking.

[This message has been edited by Brian Frank (edited 13 April 2001).]

Have you tried anything else than 4x AGP??? I had similar problems and that solution worked for me, just an idea. smile