Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ben-DK

Mandrake 9.0 and VMware 3.2 - dos it work??

I can't install Mandrake 9.0 on my VMware 3.2. I did'nt have any problem with 8.2. but 9.0 kills itself just before the graphical installer comes on.

I can make a screen dump of the problem but i would first like to hear if anybody has succeded in making 9.0 run on VMware.

There is nothing wrong with the CD. I have checked the md5sum.

Yeah, I got it to work. In fact, I'm in XP Pro right now, with Mandrake 9.0 minimized to the start menu. I used the Physical Disk option, rather than having VMWare just create a Virtual Disk, and I put it on a second (4GB) hard drive. Don't know if that makes any difference... It IS possible though, so hang in there.

Using VMware 3.1.1 here, I installed Mandrake 9 without any problems. There is native support for the VMware emulated video card. When I installed, I chose 800x600x8, with the vmware card chosen.

I got it work in my Laptop also:-)

I use VMware3.2 + MD9, it's worked even at 1024x768 screen size! But I have same problem when I try to install Lindows 2.0... frown

Windows XP Pro / VMWare 3.2 / Mandrake 9.0 running at 1280X1024. If you use the physical disk option, VMWare Tools can make it so you can dual boot into Mandrake, plus run it inside Win XP! It's awesome! :-) Right now I'm downloading Red Hat 8.0 to test it out, too.

I haven't used a version of VMWare before trying 3.2 out, so I can't answer that part of the question. When I installed the VMTools Package inside Linux, it created a file called dualconf that allows the OS to switch back and forth between being a virtual OS and being a standalone. I thought it was pretty neat, too. My roommate tried to go the other way, Linux running XP Pro inside, and it wouldn't dual boot for him with the physical disk option, so it might just be a feature for Linux.

Okay, it works with Red Hat too. The only problem I'm having is Red Hat doesn't recognize my USB keyboard when I try to boot it up standalone. I guess I'll have to do some tinkering with the kernel. Any suggestions? I have a Compaq USB Internet Keyboard. Also, for some reason my computer will not start under any circumstances when I attempt to plug anything into the PS2 keyboard port (my first attempted solution). Compaq Presario Desktop 7AP170... Man, I can't wait until I have the money to build my own computer... Anyway, sorry to go off topic. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Quote:
I can't install Mandrake 9.0 on my VMware 3.2. I did'nt have any problem with 8.2. but 9.0 kills itself just before the graphical installer comes on.

I can make a screen dump of the problem but i would first like to hear if anybody has succeded in making 9.0 run on VMware.

There is nothing wrong with the CD. I have checked the md5sum.
'

Same thing for me, has anybody actually got Mandrake 9.0 to work with WMware 3.2 running a virtual disk? Is it possible to get it working with a virtual disk? Many attempts and still no go for the install for me with virtual disk. frown

Is this possible to get Mandrake 9.0 running on VMware using Virtual Disk?, I'm going to keep asking, I don't think that I'm the only person in the world with this question, I'd like an answer please.

Have you tried using Google? How about the drake forums? Have you asked the VMware support team? It isn't that people here are trying to keep information from you, it's that nobody reading this has done what you are asking.

Mandrake 9.0 works fine for me under VMWare 3.2 on WinXP Pro. The only deviation from the VMWare defaults I have is that I set the virtual disk to be IDE rather than SCSI...

tried to install mandrake 9.0 on IDE and SCSI virtual VMWare 3.2 disks (4GB)

all I get is an error while it should have been formatting ...

anyone got this working ?

Quote:
Mandrake 9.0 works fine for me under VMWare 3.2 on WinXP Pro. The only deviation from the VMWare defaults I have is that I set the virtual disk to be IDE rather than SCSI...

Cool ... glad to hear that it can work smile

During the install it selects a SCSI driver then asks me if I have more.
I say 'no' ... then during the format of the virtual disk is it errors.

So how did you force it to use IDE? I don't have a SCSI card/disk.

Thanks for any help ... appreciated. smile

Aaaahh just found the "advanced options button" to set it to IDE ...

trying now .... 8)

Quote:
Is this possible to get Mandrake 9.0 running on VMware using Virtual Disk?, I'm going to keep asking, I don't think that I'm the only person in the world with this question, I'd like an answer please.

Here's a nice site with a link to a PDF

http://homepages.borland.com/efg2lab/Library/Kylix/VMware/

I used this myself (also includes info on Kylix and Samba). The only problem I had was when setting up the video card. My monitor and card were running at 16bit, but I could only get the test pattern if I said to use 15bit. I think this is a vmware thing. It's nice that this version of Mandrake natively recognizes and supports the VMware virtual graphics card.

This document shows how to install vmware tools. You can opt not to do this (as I did) and maybe save some headaches. But, you don't get the nice mouse/window crossover features.

While it shouldn't make a difference, I also opted to used a virtual IDE instead of the default SCSI.